John Edward (civil servant)
John Edward (born 22 September 1968) is Director (CEO) of a Scottish registered charity, previously an EU and Scottish civil servant and campaigner.
|Director of the Scottish Council of Independent Schools since 2010.|
|Born||22 September 1968|
|Relations||Elizabeth and David Edward.|
|Children||One son |
|Alma mater||University of St Andrews|
University of Glasgow
Università per Stranieri di Siena
|Profession||EU policy, public servant, third sector|
After working as a stagiaire (intern) in ECHO (European Commission) in Brussels, John Edward worked for the European Policy Centre as personal assistant to Max Kohnstamm.
He was employed for 5 years as the EU Policy Manager by Scotland Europa.
Since 2010, John Edward has been Director of the Scottish Council of Independent Schools.
John Edward was Chief Campaign Spokesman for Scotland Stronger in Europe, the discrete Scottish campaign to Remain in the European Union during the 2016 United Kingdom European Union membership referendum.
He contributed a chapter on "Soft power in hard times" to the 2017 IPPR publication, "Scotland, the UK and Brexit: A guide to the future".
He was a Liberal Democrat candidate in the 2019 European Parliament election in the United Kingdom, for the Scotland region.
John Edward served on the Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament's Commission on Parliamentary Reform which produced a Report on how the Scottish Parliament can engage better with the people of Scotland and how its work can be improved to deliver better scrutiny in 2017.
John Edward is a trustee of the Scottish European Educational Trust, a non-political charity which promotes impartial education about Europe and the wider world and encourages language learning amongst young people throughout Scotland.
- "John Edward: Door that swings open to real opportunities". www.scotsman.com.
- "ERA – Academy of European Law > ERA-Forum 2001 - Number 4". www.era.int.
- "Scotland are 'not pro-EU, just less anti'". www.scotsman.com.
- julegoikoetxea (7 January 2014). "The Scottish Referendum and the European dimension".
- "John Edward: Languages skills essential for global citizens". www.scotsman.com.
- "Why Scotland should Remain in the #EU". Britain Stronger In Europe.
- Peter Curran. "John Edward - IN campaign: Sunday Politics Scotland - kills LEAVE nonsense about 'undemocratic' EU" – via YouTube.
- Campbell, Glenn (1 February 2016). "Brexit campaign 'embryonic' in Scotland" – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Scottish EU remain campaign launches". 10 May 2016 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Scotland backs Remain as UK votes Leave". 24 June 2016 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Edinburgh march for vote on Brexit deal". 14 April 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- Association, Press (1 November 2018). "64% of Scots think 'People's Vote' would overturn 2016 EU vote result – poll".
- "John Edward: Anti-EU rhetoric makes Scotland look small". www.scotsman.com.
- "Scottish campaign calling for People's Vote on Brexit to launch". ITV News.
- Zawadzki, Adam (18 February 2019). "Scotland for a People's Vote cross-party campaign 'confident' of success". The Edinburgh Reporter.
- "John Edward". Scottish Liberal Democrats.
- "Debate Night - Series 1: 05/05/2019" – via www.bbc.co.uk.