Jonathan Philip Parry, commonly referred to as Jon Parry, (born 1957) is professor of Modern British History at the University of Cambridge and Fellow of Pembroke College. He has specialised in 19th and 20th century British political and cultural history and has developed a later interest in the relationship between Britain and the Ottoman Empire.
Parry was born in 1957. He matriculated at Peterhouse, Cambridge in 1975 and subsequently became Fellow of that college before moving to Pembroke College in 1992. In 2009 he was appointed as a professor in the university's history faculty.
A revised version of Parry's PhD thesis, which had been supervised by Derek Beales, was published in 1986 as Democracy and Religion: Gladstone and the Liberal Party 1867-1875. A review of this noted that Parry was from a similar school of thought as Maurice Cowling, another Petrean don of whom he later wrote various posthumous accounts.
- Parry, J. P. (March 1982). "Religion and the Collapse of Gladstone's First Government, 1870–1874". Historical Journal. 25 (1): 71–101. doi:10.1017/S0018246X00009869.
- Parry, J. P. (1986). "High and Low Politics in Modern Britain". Historical Journal. 29 (3): 753–770. doi:10.1017/S0018246X00019026.
- Democracy and Religion: Gladstone and the Liberal party, 1867-1875 (Cambridge, 1986)
- The Rise and Fall of Liberal Government in Victorian Britain (Yale 1993)
- Blanning, T. C. W.; Cannadine, David, eds. (1996). "Past and future in the later career of Lord John Russell". History and Biography: Essays in Honour of Derek Beales. Cambridge University Press. pp. 142–172. ISBN 978-0-52189-317-6.
- Parliament and the Church, 1529-1960 (ed. with Stephen Taylor, 2000)
- "Disraeli and England". Historical Journal. 43. 2000.
- The impact of Napoleon III on British politics, 1851-1880, Transactions of the Royal Historical Society (2001)
- Bentley, Michael, ed. (2002). "From the Thirty-Nine Articles to the Thirty-Nine Steps: reflections on the thought of John Buchan". Public and Private Doctrine: Essays in British History Presented to Maurice Cowling. Cambridge University Press. pp. 209–235. ISBN 978-0-52152-217-5.
- The Politics of Patriotism: English Liberalism, national identity and Europe 1830-1886 (Cambridge, 2006)
- Benjamin Disraeli (Oxford, 2007)
- Liberalism and liberty, in Liberty and Authority in Victorian Britain, ed. P. Mandler (Oxford, 2007)
- Whig monarchy, Whig nation: Crown, politics and representativeness, 1880-2000, in The Monarchy and the British Nation, 1780 to the present, ed. A. Olechnowicz (Cambridge, 2007)
- The decline of institutional reform in nineteenth-century Britain, in Structures and Transformations in Modern British History, ed. D . Feldman and J. Lawrence (Cambridge, 2011)
- Steam power and British influence in Baghdad, 1820-1860, Historical Journal (March 2013)
- Professor Jon Parry. Pembroke College, University of Cambridge. Retrieved 22 July 2019.
- Parry, J. P. (1989). Democracy and Religion: Gladstone and the Liberal Party 1867-1875. Cambridge University Press. p. iv. ISBN 978-0-52136-783-7.
- Parry, J. P. (1989). Democracy and Religion: Gladstone and the Liberal Party 1867-1875. Cambridge University Press. pp. xi, rear cover. ISBN 978-0-52136-783-7.
- "The Matthew Wren Society". Pembroke College Cambridge Society Annual Gazette (86): 65. September 2012.
- "Professors" (PDF). Cambridge University Reporter. 2014. pp. 11, 35. Retrieved 2019-07-22. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Isaac Newton Trust: Director" (PDF). Cambridge University Reporter. 28 January 2015. p. 341. Retrieved 2019-07-22. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Heyck, Thomas William (September 1989). "Review:Democracy and Religion: Gladstone and the Liberal Party, 1867-1875. J. P. Parry". The Journal of Modern History. 61 (3): 603–604. doi:10.1086/468319.
- Parry, Jonathan (2010). "Maurice Cowling: A Brief Life". In Crowcroft, Robert; Whiting, Richard; Green, S. J. D. (eds.). The Philosophy, Politics and Religion of British Democracy: Maurice Cowling and Conservatism. I. B. Tauris. pp. 13–24. ISBN 978-0-85772-049-8.
- Alex Middleton, Alex"‘High Politics’ and its Intellectual Contexts." Parliamentary History 40.1 (2021): 168-191. online
- Bahners, Patrick. "Jonathan Parry, The Rise and Fall of Liberal Government in Victorian Britain, 1993." Francia 22.3 (1995): 228-229. online in German
- Middleton, Alex. "‘High Politics’ and its Intellectual Contexts." Parliamentary History 40.1 (2021): 168-191. online