Kennedys Bush is a south-western suburb of Christchurch, New Zealand.
Thomas Kennedy purchased 28 acres (11 ha) of native bush in the Port Hills in 1856. In the late 1850s, Kennedys Bush Road up a spur towards the bush was surveyed, and constructed in 1863.
Halswell Quarry Park is located within Kennedys Bush. The rock formations were first noted by the Deans brothers, who named the outcrop Rock Hill. James Feather and James Forgan opened the quarry in c. 1861. They sold it to Guise Brittan, who took Grosvenor Miles and William White Sr (father of politician of the same name). Brittan sold to the Lincoln Road Tramway Company, and White and William Wilson managed the quarry operations. Wilson took over the quarry, and many important Christchurch buildings were constructed from its stone, including the Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings, Sunnyside Hospital, Durham Street Methodist Church, Canterbury Museum, Normal School, Teachers' College Building, Sign of the Takahe, and the Robert McDougall Art Gallery.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kennedys Bush.|
- Ogilvie, Gordon (2009). The Port Hills of Christchurch (2nd ed.). Christchurch: Phillips & King Publishers. ISBN 978-0-9583315-6-2.