Kingston, New Zealand
Kingston is a small town at the southernmost end of Lake Wakatipu, just north of the border of Otago and Southland, in New Zealand's South Island. It is 47 kilometres south of Queenstown by a road, "The Devil's Staircase", which winds between the lake to the west and The Remarkables mountains to the east. It is 70 kilometres north of Lumsden, and close to the headwaters of the Mataura River.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)
Kingston was originally named 'St Johns' after police commissioner St. John Branigan.
The Kingston Flyer historic railway service is closely associated with the town. It operated over a 14 kilometre long preserved section of the former Kingston Branch, which provided a rail link from the city of Invercargill to Kingston for over a century, opening in 1878 and closing in 1979 after a section of track between Garston and Athol was washed out in a storm.
- Miller, Frederick Walter Gascoyne (1949). Golden days of Lake County : the history of Lake County and the boroughs of Queenstown and Arrowtown. Christchurch, NZ: Whitcombe & Tombs. p. 62.