Kosovan–Portuguese relations are foreign relations between Kosovo[a] and Portugal. Kosovo declared its independence from Serbia on 17 February 2008 and Portugal recognised it on 7 October 2008. Kosovo has formally announced its decision to open an embassy in Lisbon.
When NATO intervened in the Kosovo War, Portugal prepared to assist if needed in the 1999 NATO bombing of Yugoslavia. Portugal provided troops as part of NATO peacekeeping efforts in Kosovo. After the end of hostilities, Portugal proposed a stabilisation programme for the Preševo Valley in Serbia just north of Kosovo. Portugal recognised Kosovo's independence from Serbia in October 2008.
Notes and references
|a.||^ Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Kosovo and the Republic of Serbia. The Republic of Kosovo unilaterally declared independence on 17 February 2008. Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. The two governments began to normalise relations in 2013, as part of the 2013 Brussels Agreement. Kosovo is currently (this note self-updates) recognized as an independent state by 98 out of the 193 United Nations member states. In total, 113 UN member states recognized Kosovo at some point, of which 15 later withdrew their recognition.|
- "Comunicado de Imprensa - Kosovo" (in Portuguese). Ministério dos Negócios Estrangeriros. 7 October 2008. Archived from the original on 21 October 2008. Retrieved 7 October 2008.
- "Anunciou Luís Amado: Portugal reconhece hoje independência do Kosovo". Publico (in Portuguese). Lisbon: Publico. 7 October 2008. Archived from the original on 22 January 2009. Retrieved 7 October 2008.
- "Diplomatic Missions of Kosovo Abroad (Albanian)" Archived 7 February 2009 at the Wayback Machine Kosovan Ministry of Foreign Affairs Link accessed 01/10/09
- "Portugal puts planes on alert for NATO strikes on Serbia". Radio Renascenca, Lisbon. 20 January 1999. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- "NATO-member Portugal wants to withdraw troops from Kosovo". International Action Center (New York). 24 October 2000. Archived from the original on 29 January 2009. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- "Portugal to propose mini stabilization programme for Presevo Valley, Serbia". Diario de Noticias, Lisbon. 22 February 2001. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- "Portugal reconhece hoje independência do Kosovo". PÚBLICO Comunicação Social SA. 7 October 2008. Archived from the original on 22 January 2009. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Kosovo Force (KFOR)" www.nato.int Link accessed 21-07-09