Kragujevac

Kragujevac (Serbian Cyrillic: Крагујевац, pronounced [krǎɡujeʋats] (listen)) is the fourth largest city in Serbia and the administrative centre of the Šumadija District. It is the historical centre of the geographical region of Šumadija in central Serbia, and is situated on the banks of the Lepenica River. According to the 2011 census, the city proper has a population of 150,835, while its administrative area comprises a total of 179,417 inhabitants.

Kragujevac
Крагујевац (Serbian)
City of Kragujevac
From top: City Assembly Building, The 21 October Museum, National Museum of Kragujevac, Temple of the Assumption of the Most Holy Theotokos, Architecture in Kragujevac, Theatre building, Monument to the executed pupils and teachers, Second Kragujevac Gymnasium
Location of Kragujevac within Serbia.
Coordinates: 44°00′36.3″N 20°55′1.9″E
Country Serbia
RegionŠumadija and Western Serbia
DistrictŠumadija
Founded1476
Government
  MayorNikola Dašić (SNS)
Area
Area rank22nd in Serbia
  Urban82.83 km2 (31.98 sq mi)
  Administrative835 km2 (322 sq mi)
Elevation
173 m (568 ft)
Population
 (2011 census)[3]
  Rank4th in Serbia
  Urban
150,835
  Urban density1,800/km2 (4,700/sq mi)
  Administrative
179,417
  Administrative density210/km2 (560/sq mi)
Time zoneUTC+1 (CET)
  Summer (DST)UTC+2 (CEST)
Postal code
СРБ-34 000
Area code(s)+381 34
ISO 3166 codeSRB
Licence platesKG
Websitewww.kragujevac.rs

Kragujevac was the first capital of modern Serbia and the first constitution in the Balkans, the Sretenje Constitution, was proclaimed in the city in 1838. During the Second World War, Kragujevac was the site of a massacre by the Nazis in which 2,778 Serb men and boys were killed.

Modern Kragujevac is known for its large munitions (Zastava Arms) and automobile (FCA Srbija) industries, as well as its status as an education centre housing the University of Kragujevac, one of the region's largest higher education institutions.