Kroll Opera House

The Kroll Opera House (German: Krolloper, Kroll-Oper) in Berlin, Germany, was in the Tiergarten district on the western edge of the Königsplatz square (today Platz der Republik), facing the Reichstag building. It was built in 1844 as an entertainment venue for the restaurant owner Joseph Kroll, and redeveloped as an opera house in 1851. It also served as the assembly hall of the Reichstag from 1933 to 1942. Severely damaged by the bombing of Berlin in World War II and the Battle of Berlin, it was demolished in 1951.

Kroll Opera House
Krolloper
The Kroll Opera House, about 1850
General information
StatusDemolished
LocationKönigsplatz
Town or cityBerlin
CountryGermany
Construction startedApril 1843
Completed1844
Opened15 February 1844
Closed22 November 1943
Demolished1951
Design and construction
Architect(s)Friedrich Ludwig Persius

Share this article:

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Kroll Opera House, and is written by contributors. Text is available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 International License; additional terms may apply. Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.