Kyiv City Council
Kyiv City Council (Ukrainian: Київська міська рада, romanized: Kyivska miska rada), also known as Kyivrada (Ukrainian: Київрада), is the city council of Kyiv municipality, the highest representative body of the city community. The members of city council are directly elected by Kyivans and the council is chaired by the Mayor of Kyiv (who is also directly elected in a separate election independent of the council election) or the City Council Secretary (elected among the council members). The deputies are elected for five-year terms.
Kyiv City Council
Київська міська рада
|City Council and State Administration building, Kyiv, Ukraine|
The most recent Kyiv local election (including Mayoral elections) took place on 25 October 2020.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2013)
The first post-Soviet democratic elections of the Kyiv City Council took place on 4 March 1990.
The first ceremonial raising of the yellow-and-blue Ukrainian flag in modern times took place on 24 July 1990 at the flagstaff of the City Council, two years before the flag was officially adopted as the National flag of the Ukrainian state (1992). 24 July was later marked as National Flag Day in Kyiv (only). Beginning with 2004, 23 August is celebrated as the Day of the National Flag (in all Ukraine).
During the Euromaidan-protest from 1 December 2013 till 16 February 2014 Kyiv's Town Hall was occupied by protesters; this forced the City Council to meet in the Solomianka Raion state administration building instead.
The results of the most recent Kyiv local election of 25 October 2020:
- 31 European Solidarity
- 30 Ukrainian Democratic Alliance for Reform
- 14 Unity of Oleksandr Omelchenko
- 12 Opposition Platform — For Life
- 12 Servant of the People
- 12 Fatherland
- 9 Voice
- Legal status and local government of Kyiv
- Kyiv City Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine
- Mayor of Kyiv
- Kyiv City State Administration
- Vitali Klitschko wins in first round of Kyiv mayor election, Ukrinform (6 November 2020)
- Klitschko has the best chance to win Kyiv mayoral elections – exit pol, Ukrinform (25 October 2020)
- Vitali Klitschko sworn in as Kyiv mayor, Interfax-Ukraine (5 June 2014)
- (in Ukrainian) The deputy who got into a scandal with the diploma was elected the secretary of the Kyiv City Council, Ukrayinska Pravda (3 December 2020)
- Mahera: Elections in Kyiv may be held in May-June Archived 2013-09-02 at the Wayback Machine, forUm (13 February 2013)
Yefremov: Kyiv mayoral election may be held before parliamentary elections, Kyiv Post (27 February 2012)
- Klitschko has the best chance to win Kyiv mayoral elections – exit poll, Ukrinform (25 October 2020)
(in Ukrainian) Local elections 2020: The first exit polls have been announced, The Ukrainian Week (25 October 2020)
- Hamm, Michael F. (3 April 2014). Kiev. ISBN 9781400851515.
- Hillis, Faith (27 November 2013). Children of Rus'. ISBN 9780801469251.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-09-24. Retrieved 2014-06-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- (in Ukrainian) Україна відзначає День Державного прапора On Tuesday, August 23, all of Ukraine celebrates National Flag Day. Measures to raise the national flag are planned throughout the country., 1+1 (23 August 2011)
- Ukraine celebrates National Flag Day Archived 2013-10-07 at the Wayback Machine, Xinhua News Agency (23 August 2012)
Ceremony of hoisting Ukraine's national flag held at presidential administration, Kyiv Post (23 August 2011)
- Hereha closes Kyiv City Council meeting on Tuesday, Interfax-Ukraine (24 December 2013)
- "Ukraine protesters leave Kiev's city hall".
- Results of the 2020 elections of the Kyiv City Council, Central Election Commission of Ukraine