Law Quarterly Review
The Law Quarterly Review is a peer-reviewed academic journal covering common law throughout the world. It was established in 1885 and is published by Sweet & Maxwell. It is one of the leading law journals in the United Kingdom.
|Edited by||Peter Mirfield|
|ISO 4||Law Q. Rev.|
The LQR's founding editor was Frederick Pollock, then Corpus Professor of Jurisprudence at the University of Oxford. Founded in 1885, it is one of the oldest law journals in the English-speaking world, after only the University of Pennsylvania Law Review and the South African Law Journal. The editors' intention was that the journal would help to establish law as a worthy field of academic study. In this purpose it has "triumphed". In the first volume alone its contributors included, in addition to Pollock himself, Sir William Anson, Albert Venn Dicey, and Thomas Erskine Holland, each of whom had assisted in the founding of the journal, as well as Oliver Wendell Holmes, F. W. Maitland, T. E. Scrutton (later Lord Justice), James Fitzjames Stephen, and Paul Vinogradoff.
Pollock edited the LQR for its first 35 years (1885-1919). He was succeeded by A. E. Randall, then editor of Leake's Law of Contracts. When Randall died suddenly in April 1925, Pollock returned to edit the final two issues of that year. From 1926 the editorship was taken over by A. L. Goodhart, who stayed in that position for almost half a century. In 1971 Paul Baker succeeded to the editorship and in 1987 he was replaced by Francis Reynolds. The LQR's current editor-in-chief is Peter Mirfield of the University of Oxford.
- "Law Quarterly Review, The - 0023-933X - SWEET & MAXWELL". www.sweetandmaxwell.co.uk. Retrieved 28 February 2020.
- Brake, Laurel; Demoor, Marysa (2009). Dictionary of Nineteenth-century Journalism in Great Britain and Ireland. Academia Press. ISBN 978-90-382-1340-8.
- Campbell, Kevin; Goodacre, Alan; Little, Gavin (2006). "Ranking of United Kingdom Law Journals: An Analysis of the Research Assessment Exercise 2001 Submissions and Results". Journal of Law and Society. 33 (3): 335–363. doi:10.1111/j.1467-6478.2006.00362.x. ISSN 1467-6478.
- Kahn, Ellison (2004). "Speech at the Juta Dinner at the South African Law Journal Jubilee Conference". South African Law Journal. 121: 271.
- Pollock, Frederick (1919). "A note of farewell". Law Quarterly Review. 35: 283.
- Goodhart, A. L. (1926). "Notes". Law Quarterly Review. 42: 1.
- Hoffmann, L. H. (1988). "His Honour Judge P.V. Baker, Q.C". Law Quarterly Review. 104: 1–3.
- "Oxford Law :: Profile of Francis Reynolds". 28 September 2011. Archived from the original on 28 September 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2020.
- Collins, Lawrence (April 2014). "Editorial, Professor F.M.B. Reynolds, Q.C. (Hon.), D.C.L., F.B.A". Law Quarterly Review. 130: 173–174.