League of Communists of Serbia
The League of Communists of Serbia (Serbo-Croatian: Savez komunista Srbije / Савез комуниста Србије, SKS), founded as the Communist Party of Serbia (Serbo-Croatian: Komunistička partija Srbije / Комунистичка партија Србије, KPS) in 1945, was the Serbian branch of the League of Communists of Yugoslavia, the sole legal party of Yugoslavia from 1945 to 1990. It changed its name from KPS to SKS in 1952. Under a new constitution ratified in 1974, greater power was devolved to the various republic level branches. In the late 1980s, the party was taken over by a faction endorsing Slobodan Milošević to become leader of the party. Milošević appeased nationalists in Serbia by promising to reduce the level of autonomy within the autonomous provinces of Kosovo and Vojvodina. This policy increased ethnic tensions with the other republics and nationalities. During the early 1990s, the growing ethnic tensions between the republics of Yugoslavia led to the breakup of the federal party.
|Leader||President of the League of Communists of Serbia|
|Dissolved||17 July 1990|
|Preceded by||Provincial Committee for Serbia of the Communist Party of Yugoslavia|
|Headquarters||Belgrade, SR Serbia, Yugoslavia|
Titoism (after 1948)
|Political position||Left-wing to far-left|
Serbian branch of the League of Communists of Yugoslavia
On July 27, 1990, it merged with several smaller parties to form the Socialist Party of Serbia.