Leeson Street (//; Irish: Sráid Líosain) is a thoroughfare near central Dublin, Ireland. The street is divided into two parts by the Grand Canal: Lower Leeson Street, in Dublin 2 is to the north of the canal, linking to St Stephen's Green, with Upper Leeson Street, in the Dublin 4 region, south of the canal. Originally known as Suesey Street, it was renamed in 1728 after the Leesons, a family of local brewers, who branched into property development and subsequently became Earls of Milltown. In 1769 a Magdalen Asylum was established by Lady Arabella Denny in the street for Protestant women.
|Native name||Sráid Líosain (Irish)|
|Namesake||Joseph Leeson, 1st Earl of Milltown|
|Length||1.3 km (0.8 mi)|
|Width||23 metres (75 ft)|
|Postal code||D02, D04|
|northwest end||St. Stephen's Green (southeast corner), Earlsfort Terrace|
|southeast end||Morehampton Road|
The street is home to several prominent buildings including the main office of the Ombudsman and the embassies of Portugal, Malta, and Cyprus. The largest building on Lower Leeson Street, along with several adjoining buildings and significant land holdings in the area, is owned by the Catholic University School.
In 1990, Caravaggio's lost masterpiece, The Taking of Christ, was recognised in the residence of the Jesuit Communication Centre on Lower Leeson Street. Broadcaster Gerry Ryan lived and died on this street.