Lega Serie A
The Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A (Italian for National Professionals League Serie A), commonly known as LNPA or Lega Serie A (Serie A League), is the governing body that runs the major professional football competitions in Italy, most prominently the Serie A.
Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A
Campionato Primavera 1
Coppa Italia Primavera
|Paolo Dal Pino|
It was founded on 1 July 2010. In the past the television rights of the Serie A clubs were sold separately, and "Serie A" had to financially support Serie B through divided part of the Serie A TV revenues to Serie B clubs. On 30 April 2009, Serie A announced a split from Serie B, when nineteen of the twenty clubs voted in favour of the move. Relegation-threatened Lecce voted against.
The governing body took over most of the competitions formerly held by Lega Calcio, namely Serie A, Coppa Italia, Supercoppa Italiana, and youth competitions Campionato Primavera 1, Coppa Italia Primavera, and Supercoppa Primavera. Serie B is now organised by the Lega Serie B, which was also created in 2010.
Serie A counts a total number of 20 clubs. In each season (that starts in August, to end in following May) every club faces the others twice (double round-robin system): once in home stadium and once in the opponents one, for 38 total games (19 for each half). Teams gain 3 points for win and a point for draw: no points are gained for lost matches. Ranking is based on total points: the top-club (with the most points) is crowned Italian champion at the end of season. If two or more teams are equal on number of points, they are ranked by following criteria: head-to-head records (results and points), goal difference in these games, goal difference overall, most goals scored, draw.
The Lega Serie A also organizes the Supercoppa Italiana, a yearly match between the champions of the Serie A and the winners of the Coppa Italia.
List of Lega Serie A chairmen
- Maurizio Beretta 2010–2017
- Carlo Tavecchio 2017–2018 (interim commissioner)
- Giovanni Malagò 2018 (interim commissioner)
- Gaetano Miccicchè (2018–2019)
- Mario Cicala (2019) (interim commissioner)
- Giancarlo Abete (2019–2020) (interim commissioner)
- Paolo Dal Pino (2020–)
Official Match Ball
- 2010–11 Nike T90 Tracer
- 2011–12 Nike Seitiro
- 2012–13 Nike Maxim
- 2013–14 Nike Incyte
- 2014–15 Nike Ordem 2
- 2015–16 Nike Ordem 3
- 2016–17 Nike Ordem 4
- 2017–18 Nike Ordem 5
- 2018–19 Nike Merlin
- "Serie A to form breakaway league". BBC Sport. 30 April 2009. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- Serie A clubs to set up their own league – Washington Post[dead link]
- "Serie A set for breakaway". Sky Sports. 30 April 2009. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- Italian league splits in two after meeting ends in stalemate – Guardian
- "Comunicato ufficiale n. 28/a" (PDF) (in Italian). Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio. 18 July 2008. Retrieved 3 July 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "Presentato il Nike Seitiro". legaseriea.it (in Italian). Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A. 30 June 2011. Retrieved 4 September 2011.