List of Olympic medalists in athletics (men)
This is the complete list of men's medalists in athletics at the Summer Olympics. It does not include the medalists from the Athletics at the 1906 Intercalated Games – these are no longer regarded as an official part of the Olympic chronology by the IOC.
The distance of the marathon at the Olympics has varied in the early years, before being standardized at 42,195 m in 1924, the distance that was run at the 1908 Olympics. In other years, the distances have been:
- 1896: 40,000 m (approximately)
- 1900: 40,260 m (25.02 mi)
- 1904: 40,000 m (24.85 mi)
- 1912: 40,200 m (24.98 mi)
- 1920: 40,750 m (25.32 mi)
- nb2008 In 2008 the Jamaica team of Nesta Carter, Michael Frater, Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell were awarded the gold medals, however, these were rescinded in 2017 following disqualification of Carter for use of performance-enhancing drugs.
- nb2012 In 2012 the USA team of Trell Kimmons, Justin Gatlin, Tyson Gay and Ryan Bailey were awarded the silver medals, however, these were rescinded in 2015 following disqualification of Gay for use of performance-enhancing drugs.
- nb2000 In 2000 the USA team of Alvin Harrison, Antonio Pettigrew, Calvin Harrison and Michael Johnson were awarded the gold medals, however, the medals were reallocated in 2012 following Pettigrew's admission of using performance-enhancing drugs.
- nb2008 In 2008 the Russian team of Maksim Dyldin, Vladislav Frolov, Anton Kokorin and Denis Alekseyev were awarded the bronze medals, however, these were rescinded in 2017 following disqualification of Alekseyev for use of performance-enhancing drugs.