List of by-elections to the Scottish Parliament
The Scottish Parliament is the devolved legislature of Scotland. It was founded in 1999. The 129 members of the Scottish Parliament (MSPs) are elected using the additional member system. 73 MSPs are elected through the first-past-the-post system in the Parliament's single-member constituencies, while 56 are elected in the regions to ensure results are proportional. There are 8 regions, electing 7 MSPs each. By-elections to the Parliament occur when a constituency seat becomes vacant, due to the death or resignation of a member.
There were no by-elections in the 3rd Scottish Parliament term (2007–11).
- Where seats changed political party at the by-election, the result is highlighted: red for a Labour gain, and blue for a Conservative gain
|Shetland||29 August 2019||5th||Tavish Scott||Liberal Democrats||Beatrice Wishart||Liberal Democrats||Resignation (to take a new role at Scottish Rugby)|
|Ettrick, Roxburgh and Berwickshire||8 June 2017||John Lamont||Conservative||Rachael Hamilton||Conservative||Resignation (to contest a seat in the 2017 UK general election)|
|Cowdenbeath||23 January 2014||4th||Helen Eadie||Labour||Alex Rowley||Labour||Death (cancer)|
|Dunfermline||24 October 2013||Bill Walker||SNP||Cara Hilton||Labour||Resignation (convicted of assault)|
|Aberdeen Donside||20 June 2013||Brian Adam||SNP||Mark McDonald||SNP||Death (cancer)|
|Moray||27 April 2006||2nd||Margaret Ewing||SNP||Richard Lochhead||SNP||Death (breast cancer)|
|Glasgow Cathcart||29 September 2005||Mike Watson||Labour||Charlie Gordon||Labour||Resignation (convicted of fire-raising)|
|Banff and Buchan||7 June 2001||1st||Alex Salmond||SNP||Stewart Stevenson||SNP||Resignation (to focus on the Parliament of the United Kingdom)|
|Strathkelvin and Bearsden||7 June 2001||Sam Galbraith||Labour||Brian Fitzpatrick||Labour||Resignation (health reasons)|
|Glasgow Anniesland||23 November 2000||Donald Dewar||Labour||Bill Butler||Labour||Death (brain hemorrhage)|
|Ayr||16 March 2000||Ian Welsh||Labour||John Scott||Conservative||Resignation (family reasons)|
- Regional Member changes in the Scottish Parliament
- List of by-elections to Senedd Cymru
- Elections in Scotland
- McGrath, Francesca (8 June 2011). "Scottish Parliament Electoral System" (PDF). Scottish Parliament Information Centre (SPICe). Archived (PDF) from the original on 7 October 2020. Retrieved 7 October 2020.
- "Lib Dems hold off SNP to win Shetland by-election". BBC News. 30 August 2019. Archived from the original on 5 October 2020. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- "Rachael Hamilton wins Scottish Parliament by-election". BBC News. 5 October 2020. Archived from the original on 5 October 2020. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- "Cowdenbeath by-election: Alex Rowley holds seat for Labour". BBC News. 24 January 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Dunfermline – Scottish Parliament constituency". BBC News. 6 May 2016. Archived from the original on 6 October 2020. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- "Dunfermline by-election: Labour's Cara Hilton wins seat from SNP". BBC News. 25 October 2013. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "SNP's Mark McDonald wins Aberdeen Donside by-election". BBC News. 21 June 2013. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "SNP's joy at by-election victory". BBC News. 28 April 2006. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- Paterson, Stewart (12 April 2016). "Election 2016 focus: Cathcart". Glasgow Times. Archived from the original on 6 October 2020. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- "Holyrood by-elections resolved". BBC News. 8 June 2001. Archived from the original on 6 October 2020. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- "Labour holds Dewar seats". BBC News. 24 November 2000. Archived from the original on 6 October 2020. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- "Scottish Parliament Election Results 2003". South Ayrshire Council. Archived from the original on 6 October 2020. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- "Tories walking on Ayr". BBC News. 17 March 2000. Archived from the original on 6 October 2020. Retrieved 6 October 2020.