List of heritage registers
This list is of heritage registers, inventories of cultural properties, natural and man-made, tangible and intangible, movable and immovable, that are deemed to be of sufficient heritage value to be separately identified and recorded. In many instances the pages linked below have as their primary focus the registered assets rather than the registers themselves. Where a particular article or set of articles on a foreign-language Wikipedia provides fuller coverage, a link is provided.
- World Heritage Sites (see Lists of World Heritage Sites) – UNESCO, advised by the International Council on Monuments and Sites
- Representative list of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity (UNESCO)
- Memory of the World Programme (UNESCO)
- Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS) – Food and Agriculture Organization
- European Heritage Label (EHL) are European sites which are considered milestones in the creation of Europe. At the end of 2019 there are 48 sites designed with the European Heritage Label
- Federal registers
- Australian National Heritage List
- Commonwealth National Heritage List
- National Trust of Australia
- Overseas places of historic significance to Australia
- Register of the National Estate (defunct register)
- State and territory registers
- New South Wales State Heritage Register
- Northern Territory Heritage Register
- Queensland Heritage Register
- South Australian Heritage Register
- Tasmanian Heritage Register
- Victorian Heritage Register
- Western Australia State Register of Heritage Places
- Online database of all registers
- The National Heritage Database is a searchable database which includes:
- places in the World Heritage List
- places in the Australian National Heritage List
- places in the Commonwealth National Heritage list
- places in the Register of the National Estate (non-statutory archive)
- places in the List of Overseas Places of Historic Significance to Australia
- places under consideration, or that may have been considered for, any one of these lists.
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Brazil: List of National Historic Heritage of Brazil, as maintained by the National Institute of Historic and Artistic Heritage; (in Portuguese) Listas de patrimônio do Brasil
- Canada: The Canadian Register of Historic Places, while it confers no historic designation or protection itself, endeavours to list all federal, provincial, territorial and local sites.
- Sites owned and run by the provincial government as a functioning historic site or museum are known as Provincial Historic Sites and Provincial Historic Areas. Buildings and sites owned by private citizens and companies or other levels or branches of government may gain one of two levels of historic designation, "Registered Historic Resource" or "Provincial Historic Resource". Historic designation in Alberta is governed by the Historic Resources Act. The province also lists buildings deemed historically significant by municipal governments on the Alberta Register of Historic Places, which is also part of the larger Canadian Register of Historic Places although this does not imply provincial or federal government status or protection. The Alberta Main Street Program helps to preserve historic buildings in the downtowns of smaller communities. The Heritage Survey Program is a survey of 80,000 historic buildings in Alberta, with no protective status.
- New Brunswick
- Places and areas designated under the Heritage Conservation Act (the New Brunswick Register of Historic Places acts as a register of sites designated under the Act)
- Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador designated properties
- Properties designated under the Ontario Heritage Act
- Heritage buildings of Vancouver
- City of Toronto Heritage Property Inventory
- Register of Historic Resources in Edmonton
China: Major Historical and Cultural Site Protected at the National Level (全国重点文物保护单位), designated by State Administration of Cultural Heritage
Sites Protected at the City Level of Hangzhou are districts, artifacts or buildings legally declared to be "protected". According to the "Regularations of historic districts and historic buildings in Hangzhou" effectivated from 1 January 2005, historic buildings are those artifacts or districts that have lasted more than 50 years, and of significant values for history, science, and art study. In Hangzhou, declaring a historic house requires consulting the urban planning administration bureau, and the real estate administration bureau.
- List of first batch of declared historic buildings in Hangzhou
- List of second batch of declared historic buildings in Hangzhou
- List of third batch of declared historic buildings in Hangzhou
- List of fourth batch of declared historic buildings in Hangzhou
- List of fifth batch of declared historic buildings in Hangzhou
- Harbin Urban and Rural Planning Bureau
- Hong Kong
- Declared monuments of Hong Kong
- List of Grade I historic buildings in Hong Kong
- List of Grade II historic buildings in Hong Kong
- List of Grade III historic buildings in Hong Kong
- Croatia: Register of Protected Natural Values of the Republic of Croatia
- Register of Cultural Goods of the Republic of Croatia
- Cuba: Consejo Nacional de Patrimonio Cultural
- Czech: (in Czech) Seznam národních kulturních památek České republiky, (in German) Liste der Nationalen Kulturdenkmale Tschechiens, as featuring on MonumNet
- Egypt: List of Historic Monuments in Cairo as recorded by Comité de Conservation des Monuments de l'Art Arabe, the predecessor of the Supreme Council of Antiquities.
- Estonia: National Registry of Cultural Monuments. It is maintained by the National Heritage Board of Estonia. It has been described as one of the most successful and more complete heritage registers.
- Estonia: Estonian inventory of intangible cultural heritage. It is maintained by the Estonian Folk Culture Centre.
- Finland: There are two registers confirmed at the state level:
- Nationally significant built cultural environments in Finland (Finnish: Valtakunnallisesti merkittävät rakennetut kulttuuriympäristöt, Swedish: Byggda kulturmiljöer av riksintresse), compiled by the Finnish Heritage Agency
- Nationally valuable landscapes in Finland (Finnish: Valtakunnallisesti arvokkaat maisema-alueet, Swedish: Nationellt värdefulla landskapsområden), compiled by the Finnish Environment Institute
- France: Monument historique
- List of World Heritage Sites in France
- Georgia: The National Agency for Cultural Heritage Preservation of Georgia is a government agency responsible for preservation, protection, research and promotion of cultural heritage of the country. The Agency maintains three registers of Georgia's cultural heritage:
- Immovable Cultural Monuments
- Movable Cultural Monuments
- Intangible cultural heritage of Georgia
- Germany: The Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz is an organization which facilitates public awareness and protection of heritage sites listed. These lists are kept on the website denkmalliste.org, which has all German heritage registers ("Denkmallisten") gathered together in one portal.
- Hungary: The Forster Gyula Nemzeti Örökségvédelmi és Vagyongazdálkodási Központ was an organization which facilitates public awareness and protection of heritage sites listed up to 2016.12.31. (There are partial list from 8 county of Hungary). From 2017.01.01. the cultural heritage management is in the competence the Prime Minister’s Office and the Hungarian Academy of Arts.
- Műemlékem is a non official list maintained by a non-governmental organization.
- National level
- List of World Heritage Sites in India
- Monuments of National Importance of India: designated by the Archeological Survey of India and maintained by the union government of India
- National Geological Monuments of India: designated by the Geological Survey of India and maintained by the union government of India
- State level
- State Protected Monuments of India: designated by the Archeological Survey of India and maintained by the state governments of India
Iran: Iran National Heritage List is a register of nationally significant monuments, places, buildings, archaeological sites, events, etc., officially registered under the National Heritage Preservation Act of 1930. According to Article 1 of this law, "All the industrial monuments and buildings that were built up to the end of the Zand dynasty in the country of Iran, including movable and immovable in accordance with Article 13 of this law, can be considered as national heritage of Iran and under the protection and supervision of the state."
Ireland: In the Republic of Ireland, some registers are maintained by sections of the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht (The National Monuments Service and National Inventory of Architectural Heritage). Others are maintained by the "planning authority": the local council for the county, city, borough, or town where the monument or building is sited.
|National Monument||"a monument or the remains of a monument the preservation of which is a matter of national importance by reason of the historical, architectural, traditional, artistic, or archaeological interest attaching thereto"||Owned or managed by the National Monuments Service. The Service's own list of monuments is not definitive.|
|National Inventory of Architectural Heritage||"all—
(a) structures and buildings together with their settings and attendant grounds, fixtures and fittings,
(b) groups of such structures and buildings, and
which are of architectural, historical, archaeological, artistic, cultural, scientific, social or technical interest"
|National Inventory of Architectural Heritage. The NIAH's survey is not yet complete.|
|protected structure||"structures, or parts of structures, which form part of the architectural heritage and which are of special architectural, historical, archaeological, artistic, cultural, scientific, social or technical interest"||Relevant planning authority maintains a list as part of its development plan.|
|architectural conservation area||"a place, area, group of structures or townscape, taking account of building lines and heights, that—
(a) is of special architectural, historical, archaeological, artistic, cultural, scientific, social or technical interest or value, or
(b) contributes to the appreciation of protected structures"
|special planning control area||"an architectural conservation area [...] of special importance to, or as respects, the civic life or the architectural, historical, cultural or social character of a city or town in which it is situated"||Planning authority|
|area of special amenity||"by reason of—
(a) its outstanding natural beauty, or
(b) its special recreational value,
and having regard to any benefits for nature conservation"
|Database of Historic Gardens and Designed Landscapes||Gardens marked on the first- or second-edition (1850–95) maps of the Ordnance Survey of Ireland.||National Inventory of Architectural Heritage|
- Israel: List of National Heritage Sites of Israel; cf. Council for Conservation of Heritage Sites in Israel
- Italy: Catalogo Generale dei Beni Culturali under creation; catalogo regionale dei beni culturali already maintained by each region:
- Jamaica: Jamaica National Heritage Trust, established in 1958. The organisation maintains a list of National Heritage Sites in Jamaica.
Latvia: "The list of State protected cultural monuments", available at . Contains information about 7371 monuments of culture (As of March 2021[update]). The list is maintained by State Inspection for Heritage Protection, a government agency.
Full list is available at valsts aizsargājamo kultūras pieminekļu saraksts (in Latvian).
- "Buildings and objects classified as national monuments or listed on supplementary inventory".
- Netherlands: List of Rijksmonuments (Monumentenregister van de Rijksdienst voor het cultureel erfgoed)
- New Zealand Rarangi Taonga: The Register of Historic Places, Historic Areas, Wahi Tapu and Wahi Tapu Areas (administered by New Zealand Historic Places Trust.)
- Pakistan: There are several organizations that take care of historic and heritage sites in Pakistan.
- Department of Archaeology and Museums (Ministry of Heritage and National Integration (Pakistan))
- National Archives of Pakistan
- Directorate of Archaeology & Museums, Sindh
- Sindh Building Control Authority
- Directorate General of Archaeology, Punjab
- Directorate of Archaeology & Museums, of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- Directorate General of Archaeology, Balochistan
- List of cultural heritage sites in Pakistan
Paraguay: El Inventario Nacional de Bienes Culturales, under creation by the Dirección de Catalogación del Patrimonio Cultural
Poland: A list of objects of cultural heritage in Poland (zabytki) is maintained by the National Heritage Board of Poland. It is primarily composed of objects in the register of objects of cultural heritage (rejestr zabytków), objects with the status of Historical Monument (pomnik historii), objects classified as a cultural park (park kulturowy).
- Romania: National Register of Historic Monuments in Romania – The list, created in 2004–2005, contains historical monuments entered in the National Cultural Heritage of Romania. It is maintained by the Romanian National Institute of Historical Monuments, part of the Ministry of Culture and National Patrimony in Romania.
Senegal: Sites et Monuments historiques; (in French) Liste des monuments et sites historiques au Sénégal
The register is divided into twelve categories:
- Spain: Monument (Spain) (Monumento histórico or Bien de Interés Cultural)
- Sweden: Listed buildings in Sweden, as maintained by the Swedish National Heritage Board; see also (in Swedish) Kulturmärkning i Sverige
- Switzerland: Swiss Inventory of Cultural Property (German: Schweizerisches Inventar der Kulturgüter, French: Inventaire suisse des biens culturels). National register of some 8,300 objects of international, national, regional and local significance. Managed by the Federal Office for Civil Protection (see its website).
- There are also cantonal registers of cultural heritage sites.
- See also Category:Heritage registers in Switzerland.
- Taiwan: Bureau of Cultural Heritage, which keeps a list on their website.
- Turkey: Immovable Cultural and Natural Properties (Turkish: Korunması Gerekli Taşınmaz Kültür ve Tabiat Varlıkları (see )
Heritage, culture, planning and conservation are devolved issues in the United Kingdom, and are dealt with by the governments of the constituent countries. England, which does not have its own devolved government, is covered by an agency of the United Kingdom government.
- The Schedule of Ancient Monuments (follows on pre-devolution 1979 Act of Parliament)
- England: English Heritage, an executive agency of the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
- The National Heritage List for England (launched May 2011). Contains list of all scheduled monuments, listed buildings, registered parks and gardens, historic wrecks and registered historic battlefields in England
- English Heritage Archive: formerly the National Monuments Record (England)
- Register of Parks and Gardens
- Registered Battlefields (UK)
- Protection of Wrecks Act 1973
- Heritage at Risk Register
- Northern Ireland: Northern Ireland Environment Agency, an executive agency within the Department of the Environment
- Historic Environment Scotland, an executive agency of the Scottish Executive Education Department
- Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) – executive non-departmental public body
- Cadw, an agency of the Welsh Assembly Government
- Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, a Welsh Government sponsored body
- National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW)
- Coflein: the online database for the NMRW
In the United States, a site is only listed on the National Register of Historic Places on recommendation from the state historic preservation offices in the relevant state. Some states maintain their own state-level historic registers, although in some U.S. states all properties on the state register duplicate the National Register listing. The National Register listing in itself confers no protection to a historic property but may qualify the site for matching grants for historic restoration. Local historic designations in many municipalities provide some limited protection against demolition of historic landmarks.
- United States national monuments are a separate register from the National Register of Historic Places
- National Historic Landmarks
- National Natural Landmarks
- State-level and local-level
- Georgia (U.S. state)
- New York
Venezuela: Inventario de monumentos, as maintained by the Instituto de Patrimonio Cultural
- Description of the European Heritage Label (EHL) https://ec.europa.eu/culture/cultural-heritage/initiatives-and-success-stories/european-heritage-label
- "National Heritage Database". Australian Government. Dept of Environment and Energy. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- Commission to preserve national monuments Archived 2015-04-26 at Wikiwix Commission to preserve national monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Retrieved on 2012-03-27. (in Bosnian and English).
- List of National Historic Heritage of Brazil Archived 2013-10-20 at the Wayback Machine National Institute of Historic and Artistic Heritage. Retrieved on 2012-03-27. (in Portuguese).
- "HistoricPlaces.ca - Recherche". www.historicplaces.ca. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- Alberta, Government of. "Header and Footer". culture.alberta.ca. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- Alberta, Government of (28 December 2006). "Alberta Queen's Printer". www.qp.gov.ab.ca. Archived from the original on 5 July 2008. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Alberta Culture and Community Spirit – Historic Resources Management – Historic Places Stewardship Section – Alberta's Historic Places Designation Program – Municipal Historic Resource Designation". Archived from the original on 5 December 2010. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "The Alberta Main Street Program". Archived from the original on 23 June 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Alberta Culture and Community Spirit – Historic Resources Management – Historic Places Stewardship Section – Heritage Survey Program". Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- Canada, Government of New Brunswick (2012-11-14). "Historic Places - Tourism, Heritage and Culture". www.historicplaces.gnb.ca. Archived from the original on 12 October 2017. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Répertoire du patrimoine culturel du Québec". Patrimoine-culturel.gouv.qc.ca. 2013-05-09. Archived from the original on 2006-02-07. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- "City of Edmonton". Archived from the original on 10 November 2006. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "CMN. Consejo de Monumentos Nacionales. Gobierno de Chile". www.monumentos.cl. Archived from the original on 14 June 2017. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "优优国际网站_99uu优优国际_澳门优优赌场_www.优优99uu.com". www.hangzhoumemory.org. Archived from the original on 26 June 2017. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Portal del Consejo Nacional de Patrimonio Cultural". www.cnpc.cult.cu. Archived from the original on 14 June 2017. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "MonumNet". Národní památkový ústav (National Heritage Institute). Archived from the original on 30 May 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- "Register". Heritage Agency of Denmark. Archived from the original on 23 February 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- National registry of Cultural Monuments Archived 2014-11-01 at the Wayback Machine Muinsuskaitseamet
- Andrea Vianello. "Website Review: National Register of Cultural Monuments (of Estonia)". CSA Newsletter (Vol. XXVII, No. 1 — April, 2014). Archived from the original on 5 March 2015. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Estonian inventory of intangible cultural heritage". Archived from the original on 2018-04-25. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Cultural Resources: National Monuments". Swaziland National Trust Commission. Archived from the original on 2 June 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- "Valtakunnallisesti merkittävät rakennetut kulttuuriympäristot". RKY.fi (in Finnish). Finnish Heritage Agency. Retrieved 26 January 2021.
- "Nationally valuable landscapes". Environment.fi. Finnish Environment Institute. 4 December 2020. Retrieved 26 January 2021.
- "La base Mérimée sur le patrimoine architectural français". www.culture.gouv.fr. Archived from the original on 17 February 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "კულტურული მემკვიდრეობის ძეგლები". www.heritagesites.ge (in Georgian). Retrieved 3 August 2019.
- "Startseite". denkmalliste.org. Archived from the original on 2014-03-26. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- "BlfD". Archived from the original on 18 May 2007. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "National Monuments Acts, 1930–2004". Archived from the original on 5 June 2011. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- "National Monuments > Search By County". National Monuments Service. Archived from the original on 20 February 2010. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- "Architectural Heritage (National Inventory) and Historic Monuments (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 1999". Archived from the original on 5 June 2011. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- "Buildings: County Survey Index". National Inventory of Architectural Heritage. Archived from the original on 12 February 2010. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- "Planning and Development Act, 2000". Irish Statute Book. Ireland: Office of the Attorney General. Archived from the original on 27 October 2009. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- "Protected structures". Building or altering a home. Ireland: Citizens Information Board. 29 August 2008. Archived from the original on 22 July 2009. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- "Project methodology". Database of Historic Gardens and Designed Landscapes. National Inventory of Architectural Heritage. Archived from the original on 13 March 2010. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- "Gardens: Search by County". Database of Historic Gardens and Designed Landscapes. National Inventory of Architectural Heritage. Archived from the original on 12 March 2010. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- "Catalogo Generale dei Beni Culturali". catalogo.beniculturali.it (in Italian). Archived from the original on 21 September 2016. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- "WebGIS". patrimonioculturale-er.it (in Italian). Archived from the original on 19 September 2016. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- "Il WebGIS". emiliaromagna.beniculturali.it (in Italian). Archived from the original on 24 March 2017. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- "SIRBeC". lombardiabeniculturali.it (in Italian). Archived from the original on 12 September 2016. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- "Jamaica National Heritage Trust". www.jnht.com. Archived from the original on 27 June 2017. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Jamaica National Heritage Trust – List of Declared Sites & Monuments". 2005. Archived from the original on 2007-06-23. Retrieved 2009-09-04.
- "Par kultūras pieminekļu aizsardzību". LIKUMI.LV (in Latvian). Retrieved 2021-03-16.
- "Conservation of Historic Monuments". Retrieved 2020-02-27.
- Sagona, Claudia (2015). The Archaeology of Malta. Cambridge University Press. p. 307. ISBN 9781107006690.
- "Coordinación Nacional de Monumentos Históricos". Archived from the original on 2015-07-13. Retrieved 2015-07-13.
- "Yangon Heritage List". The Myanmar Times. 2001-10-29. Archived from the original on 2009-06-15.
- "Homepage". National Heritage Council of Namibia. Archived from the original on 25 October 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Monument database Archived 2011-01-22 at the Wayback Machine of the Monumentenregister
- "Heritage New Zealand". www.historic.org.nz. Archived from the original on 4 August 2009. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Patrimonio Cultural". Secretaría Nacional de Cultura. 2011-05-19. Archived from the original on 15 March 2016. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- Ustawa z dnia 23 lipca 2003 r. o ochronie zabytków i opiece nad zabytkami, Dz. U. z 2003 r. Nr 162, poz. 1568
- "Portant publication de la liste des Sites et Monuments historiques classés". Ministry of Culture. Archived from the original on 8 December 2008. Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- "Cultural Policy in Sierra Leone" (PDF). UNESCO. Archived (PDF) from the original on 30 July 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- "The National Heritage List for England". English Heritage. Archived from the original on 2014-03-27. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- "- English Heritage". www.english-heritage.org.uk. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- National Register of Historic Places, National Park Service Archived 2006-03-30 at the Wayback Machine
- National Historic Landmarks Program (NHL) Homepage Archived 2007-06-09 at the Wayback Machine
- "NPS: Nature & Science » National Natural Landmarks". Archived from the original on 21 September 2008. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- California, California State Parks, State of. "HTTP404". CA State Parks. Archived from the original on 10 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- California, California State Parks, State of. "California Register of Historical Resources". CA State Parks. Archived from the original on 30 September 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- California, California State Parks, State of. "California Points of Historical Interest". CA State Parks. Archived from the original on 30 September 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Washington State DAHP". Archived from the original on 22 February 2007. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Centro de Documentación". Instituto de Patrimonio Cultural. Archived from the original on 3 August 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.