List of national symbols of the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
Symbols of the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man is a list of the national symbols of the United Kingdom, its constituent countries (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), and the British Crown dependencies (the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man). Each separate entry has its own set of unique symbols.
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
|Name and flag||National Personification||National Animal(s)||Coat of Arms||Motto||Anthem|
|United Kingdom |
Flag of the United Kingdom
|Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom||Dieu et mon droit|
"God and my right"
(as used in England, Northern Ireland & Wales)
(as used in Scotland)
|"God Save the Queen"|
Note: "Queen" is replaced with "King" in the lyrics whenever the monarch is male.
England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
|Name and flag||Patron Saint||National Flower(s)||National Animal(s)||Coat of Arms||Motto||Anthem|
Saint George's Cross
|St. George||Tudor Rose||Lion||Royal Arms of England||Dieu et mon droit|
"God and my right"
|God save the Queen/King |
See Proposed national anthems.
Cross of Saint Andrew
|St. Andrew||Thistle||Unicorn||Royal Arms of Scotland||In Defens|
|Flower of Scotland|
See also Proposed national anthems of Scotland.
The Red Dragon
|Red Dragon||Royal Badge of Wales||Cymru am byth|
|Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau|
"Land of my Fathers"
|Northern Ireland Crown, and Red Hand of Ulster ||St. Patrick||Flax Flower|
Former Coat of arms of Northern Ireland:
"Who will separate us?"
Officially God Save The Queen/King
- There has been no official national flag of Northern Ireland since 1973. However, the shown Ulster banner, official flag of the Government of Northern Ireland between 1953–1973, has since been the de facto flag of Northern Ireland, and continued to be used by international sporting organisations. See Northern Ireland flags issue for more information.
British Crown Dependencies
Bailiwick of Jersey
|Name and flag||Patron Saint||Traditional Animal Nickname||Coat of Arms||'Motto||Anthem|
Flag of Jersey
|St. Helier||Crapauds / Jersey Cow||Coat of Arms of Jersey||–||"Island Home"|
Bailiwick of Guernsey
|Name and flag||Patron Saint||National Flower||Traditional Animal Nickname||Coat of Arms||Motto||Anthem|
Flag of Guernsey
|St. Samson of Dol||Guernsey Lily||Les ânes
||Coat of arms of Guernsey||–||"Sarnia Cherie"|
Flag of Sark
|St. Magloire||–||Corbins||Coat of arms of Sark||–||"Sarnia Cherie"|
Flag of Alderney
|St. Anne||–||Lapins||Coat of arms of Alderney||–||"Sarnia Cherie"|
Flag of Herm
|St. Tugual||–||–||Coat of Arms of Herm||–||"Sarnia Cherie"|
Isle of Man
|Name and flag||Patron Saint||National Flower(s)||Coat of Arms||Motto||Anthem|
|Isle of Man |
Flag of the Isle of Man
|St. Maughold ||Cushag (popularly) |
|Coat of arms of the Isle of Man||Quocunque Jeceris Stabit|
"Wherever you throw it, it will stand"
|"O Land of Our Birth"|
- United Kingdom
- British Crown Dependencies
- List of British flags
- United Kingdom – Symbols
- Channel Islands – Culture
- List of national animals – United Kingdom
- National emblem – Plants (National flora)
- National symbols of England
- National symbols of Scotland
- National symbols of Northern Ireland
- National symbols of Wales
- Symbols of the British Overseas Territories
- National symbols of Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland
- "St George: England". BBC News. 1 March 2005.
- "National Emblems of Britain". woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk. Archived from the original on 8 April 2008. Retrieved 18 April 2008.
- "The Royal Lion of England". www.heraldicsculptor.com.
- "St Andrew: Scotland". BBC News. 1 March 2005.
- "Civilization.ca – Treasures Gallery – Queen's Beasts: Unicorn of Scotland". civilization.ca.
- "St David: Wales". BBC News. 1 March 2005.
- "Civilization.ca – Treasures Gallery – Queen's Beasts: Red Dragon of Wales". civilization.ca.
- "Northern Ireland flag". BBC. 28 September 2010.
- FIFA.com. "Member Association - Northern Ireland - FIFA.com". www.fifa.com.
- United Kingdom One Pound Coin Design Archived 30 April 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Marr, James (2001). History of Guernsey: The Bailiwick's Story (Second ed.). St Peter Port, Guernsey: Guernsey Press Ltd. ISBN 0953916618.
- Plantlife county flowers results Archived 6 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine