List of years in the environment
- Some of the more notable events are listed here with a full list on the respective pages.
List of years
- 1962 - Silent Spring, the widely acclaimed book by Rachel Carson which documented the effects of indiscriminate use of pesticides, is published.
- 1972 - The Limits to Growth was published. The book is about the computer modelling of unchecked economic and population growth with finite resource supplies, and became both controversial and influential.
- 1976 - Ongoing oil spills began in Nigeria leading to various environmental issues in the Niger Delta.
- 1978 - The Amoco Cadiz oil spill occurred on the coast of Brittany resulting in the largest oil spill of its kind in history to that date.
- 1979 - The Three Mile Island accident, a partial nuclear meltdown that released radioactive material, occurred in the United States.
- 1985 - the International Tropical Timber Agreement enters into force.
- 1986 - the Chernobyl disaster, a catastrophic nuclear accident, occurred at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine
- 1988 - the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer enters into force.
- 1989 - the Exxon Valdez oil spill occurred in Prince William Sound, Alaska.
- 1993 - the Convention on Biological Diversity, known informally as the Biodiversity Convention, enters into force. It is an international legally binding treaty.
- 1994 - the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) enters into force.
- 2002 - the World Summit on Sustainable Development, WSSD or Earth Summit 2002 took place in Johannesburg, South Africa, from 26 August to 4 September 2002. It was convened to discuss sustainable development by the United Nations.
- 2011 - 2011 was declared the International Year of Forests by the United Nations
- 2020 – starting with 2020 these articles also include significant events in environmental sciences