Little River Branch

The Little River Branch was a branch line railway that formed part of New Zealand's national rail network. It diverged from the Southbridge Branch in Lincoln and ran down Banks Peninsula in the Canterbury region of the South Island. It was opened to Little River in 1886 and operated until 1962.[1]

Little River Branch
The former railway station at the terminus in Little River
Overview
StatusClosed
OwnerRailways Department
LocaleCanterbury, New Zealand
TerminiLincoln Junction
Little River
Stations7
Service
TypeHeavy Rail
SystemNew Zealand Government Railways (NZGR)
Operator(s)Railways Department
History
Opened11 March 1886 (1886-03-11)
Closed1 July 1962 (1962-07-01)
Technical
Line length36.37 km
Number of tracksSingle
CharacterRural
Track gauge3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm)
Route map

0.00
Lincoln Station
5.19
Greenpark
9.00
Matthews Road
12.90
Motukarara
20.62
Kaituna
27.44
Birdling's Flat
36.37
Little River
km