Lotteries Act 1710
The Lotteries Act 1710 (9 Ann c 6) was an Act of the Parliament of Great Britain. As enacted, it specified duties on exports of certain commodities, coal, and candles and regulated the state lottery. Section 57, the last to be repealed, reinforced the Suppression of Lotteries Act 1698 and specified a £100 fine for offenders, to be distributed one third each to the Crown, the parish poor, and the informant.
|Long title||An Act for reviving continuing and appropriating certain Duties upon several Commodities to be exported and certain Duties upon Coals to be waterborn and carried Coastwise and for granting further Duties upon Candles for Thirty two Years to raise Fifteen hundred thousand Pounds by way of a Lottery for the Service of the Year One thousand seven hundred and eleven and for suppressing such unlawful Lotteries and such Insurance Offices as are therein mentioned.|
|Citation||9 Ann c 6|
|Text of statute as originally enacted|
The penalties specified in the act for unauthorised lotteries were extended to the Kingdom of Ireland in 1756.
Some of the duties ceased automatically after 32 years; others were ceased by various acts from 1784 onwards. The 1710 act's provisions regulating the state lottery were amended by later acts until it was finally abolished under the Lotteries Act 1823.
All sections of the act except section 57 were repealed by the Statute Law Revision Act 1867.
The whole Act was repealed in Great Britain by the Betting and Lotteries Act 1934, in Northern Ireland by the Betting and Lotteries Act (Northern Ireland) 1957, and in the Republic of Ireland by the Gaming and Lotteries Act 1956.
- The short title was assigned by the Short Titles Act 1896.
- The long title as amended in 1887 was "An Act ... for suppressing such unlawful Lotteries ... as are therein mentioned."
- The 1867 Statute Law Revision Bill lists: 24 Geo 3 sess 2 c 11 s 10; 24 Geo 3 sess 2 c 36 s 1; 27 Geo 3 c 13 ss 1, 35; 1 & 2 Geo 4 c 67 s 1; 5 Geo 4 c 74 s 23; 6 Geo 4 c 105 ; 7 Geo 4 c 48 s 52.
- Short Titles Act 1896, s.1 and Schedule p.17
- Statute Law Revision Act 1887, section 1 and Schedule
- [Bill 194] Statute Law Revision [H. L.]. Parliamentary papers. HC Bills 1867 VI (194) 119. 6 June 1867. pp. 79–80.
- British act 29 Geo. 2. c. 7. s. 26
- Stamp Act 1712; Lotteries Acts 1721, 1722, 1732, 1806; Gaming Acts 1738, 1802
- Statute Law Revision Act 1867, section 1 and Schedule
- Betting and Lotteries Act 1934, section 32 and Schedule 2
- Betting and Lotteries Act (Northern Ireland) 1957 [1957 c. 19 (N.I.)] section 35 and Part II of the Schedule
- Gaming and Lotteries Act 1956, s.3 and Part I of Schedule