Madison Square Garden (1925)

Madison Square Garden (MSG III) was an indoor arena in New York City, the third bearing that name. Built in 1925 and closed in 1968, it was located on the west side of Eighth Avenue between 49th and 50th Streets in Manhattan, on the site of the city's trolley-car barns.[1] It was the first Garden that was not located near Madison Square. MSG III was the home of the New York Rangers of the National Hockey League and the New York Knicks of the National Basketball Association, and also hosted numerous boxing matches, the Millrose Games, concerts, and other events. In 1968 it was demolished and its role and name passed to the current Madison Square Garden, which stands at the site of the original Penn Station. One Worldwide Plaza was built on the arena's former 50th Street location.

Madison Square Garden III
1941 postcard depicting the building
Full nameMadison Square Garden
LocationManhattan, New York
Coordinates40.7624°N 73.9877°W / 40.7624; -73.9877
OwnerTex Rickard
OperatorTex Rickard
CapacityBasketball: 18,496
Ice hockey: 15,925
Construction
Broke groundJanuary 9, 1925
OpenedDecember 15, 1925 (95 years ago) (December 15, 1925)
ClosedFebruary 13, 1968 (53 years ago) (February 13, 1968)
Demolished19681969
ArchitectThomas W. Lamb
Tenants
New York/Brooklyn Americans (NHL) (19251942)
New York Rangers (NHL) (1926–1968)
St. John's Red Storm (NCAA) (1930s1968)
National Invitation Tournament (1938–1967)
New York Knicks (BAA/NBA) (1946–1968)

Share this article:

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Madison Square Garden (1925), and is written by contributors. Text is available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 International License; additional terms may apply. Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.