Materiel or matériel (pronounced //, from French: matériel, lit. 'equipment, hardware') refers to supplies, equipment, and weapons in military supply-chain management, and typically supplies and equipment in a commercial supply chain context.
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Part of a series on|
In a military context, the term "materiel" refers either to the specific needs (excluding manpower) of a force to complete a specific mission, or the general sense of the needs (excluding manpower) of a functioning army.
Materiel management consists of continuing actions relating to planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, controlling, and evaluating the application of resources to ensure the effective and economical support of military forces. It includes provisioning, cataloging, requirements determination, acquisition, distribution, maintenance, and disposal. The terms "materiel management", "materiel control", "inventory control", "inventory management", and "supply management" are synonymous.
Military materiel is often shipped to and used in severe climates without controlled warehouses or fixed material handling equipment. Packaging and labeling often need to meet stringent technical specifications to help ensure proper delivery and final use. Some military procurement allows for commercial packaging rather than the more stringent military grades.
- Anti-materiel rifle
- Matériel (French Army)
- Military acquisition
- Military logistics
- Military supply chain management
- Supply chain
- United States Army Materiel Command
- Air Force Materiel Command
- United States Army Medical Research and Materiel Command
- "Definition of MATERIEL". www.merriam-webster.com.
- ""matériel, n."", OED Online. March 2021, Oxford University Press., retrieved 7 April 2021
- "matériel | meaning of matériel in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English | LDOCE". www.ldoceonline.com.
- [Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary]
- DoD Integrated Materiel Management (IMM) for Consumable Items, 4140.26-M, Volume 2, September 24, 2010, Glossary, p. 38.
- Mitchell, D G (December 2017). "The important role of materiel management in building Army readiness". Army Sustainment. Retrieved March 1, 2019.
- Maloney, J. C. (July 2003). "The History and Significance of Military Packaging" (PDF). Defence Packaging Policy Group. Defence Logistics Agency. Retrieved 30 Oct 2016.
- ASTM D3951, Standard Practice For Commercial Packaging