Mateusz Piotr Bogusz (born 22 August 2001) is a Polish footballer who plays as an attacking midfielder for English club Leeds United, and the Poland national under-21 team. Bogusz started his career at Polish side Ruch Chorzów, before signing for Leeds United in January 2019. He made his league debut for the club in July 2020, before spending the 2020–21 season on loan at Segunda División side UD Logroñés.
|Full name||Mateusz Piotr Bogusz|
|Date of birth||22 August 2001|
|Place of birth||Ruda Śląska, Poland|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Gwiazda Ruda Śląska|
|2020–2021||→ Logroñés (loan)||23||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:55, 6 June 2021 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 9 September 2020
Born in Ruda Śląska, Bogusz started his youth career at Polish side Ruch Chorzów before making his first-team debut at 16 years old during the 2017–18 I liga in I liga on 4 March 2018 in a 2–0 win against Bytovia Bytów.
In 2018, his impressive form for the side meant that Bogusz was offered a trial at Italian Serie A Side S.S.C. Napoli, however he was not granted permission by Ruch Chorzów. He made 13 appearances for the side during the 2017–18 season but was unable to prevent Ruch Chorzów being relegated from I liga.
Despite being just 16, he was given the number 10 shirt for the 2018/19 season. He scored his first goal for Ruch Chorzów on 27 October 2018 against Błękitni Stargard. He scored his sixth goal of the II liga season on 19 January 2019 in a 4–1 win against Ruch Radzionków in what appeared to be his final game for the club, as on 22 January 2019, Ruch Chorzów announced that a fee had been agreed with English Championship side Leeds United to sign the player.
Bogusz joined English EFL Championship side Leeds United on 29 January 2019 for an undisclosed fee, signing a two-and-a-half-year contract. He became Leeds' second signing of the 2019 January transfer window after the signing of Kiko Casilla. He was part of Carlos Corberán's Leeds United under 23's side that won the PDL Northern League 2018–19 season, before becoming the national Professional Development League champions following victory over Birmingham City in the final. He was named in the first-team squad for the first time on 28 April 2019 as an unused substitute in a 1–1 draw against Aston Villa and featured on the bench three more times that season.
Bogusz featured in the club's first-team during the pre-season ahead of the 2019–20 season, featuring in 16 Marcelo Bielsa's 16-man squad for Leeds'-season tour of Australia for matches against Manchester United and West Sydney Wanderers, and scoring against the latter. He made his senior debut for Leeds on 27 August 2019 in an EFL Cup match against Stoke City, with Leeds losing on 4–5 on penalties after a 2–2 draw in normal time. After the English professional football season was paused in March 2020 due to Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on association football, the season was resumed during June, where Leeds earned promotion to the Premier League as Championship champions for the 2019–20 season, with Bogusz making his league debut for the club in the final game of the season in a 4–0 victory against Charlton Athletic.
His first start of the 2020–21 season came on 16 September 2020 for Premier League Leeds in a 1–1 draw against EFL League One side Hull City in the EFL Cup, with Hull winning 9-8 on penalties. Bogusz was then named as an unused substitute in the following Premier League game against Fulham on 19 September after an injury to Pablo Hernández. Bogusz signed a new three-year contract with Leeds on 11 August 2020. On 5 October 2020, deadline day, Bogusz joined Spanish Segunda División side UD Logroñés on loan for the 2020–21. He scored once in 24 appearances as the club finished 20th in the league and were relegated.
On 19 August 2019, Bogusz was called up to the Poland U21s for the first time for matches against Latvia U21 and Estonia U21s in September 2019. With Bogusz making his Poland U21s debut on 10 September against Estonia U21s in a 4–0 win. On 5 September 2020, Bogusz scored his first goals for Poland U21s by scoring a brace in a 6-0 win against Estonia U21s.
Style of play
Bogusz plays mainly as an attacking midfielder in the number 10 role. In Poland he was known for his technical ability and eye for goal. He can also play as a central midfielder or as a deep-lying midfielder.
- As of 6 June 2021
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Ruch Chorzów||2017–18||I liga||13||0||1||0||—||—||14||0|
|Logroñés (loan)||2020–21||Segunda División||23||1||1||0||—||—||24||1|
- "Notification of shirt numbers: Leeds United" (PDF). English Football League. p. 36. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- "Mateusz Bogusz" (in Polish). Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "YOUNG STAR Leeds and Brighton in race to sign Polish wonderkid Mateusz Bogusz – reports". Talksport. 30 December 2018. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "Mateusz Bogusz z Ruchu Chorzów — specjalista od pięknych bramek" [Mateusz Bogusz from Ruch Chorzów – specialist for beautiful goals] (in Polish). Super Express. 31 October 2018. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "BIELSA'S BOY Leeds set to sign wonderkid Mateusz Bogusz after Polish third division side Ruch Chorsow confirm offer from Whites". Talksport. 22 January 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "MATEUSZ BOGUSZ – PLAYER". Laczy Nas Pilka. 7 January 2019. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "Błękitni Stargard 3 Ruch Chorzow 1". Ruch Chorzów. 27 October 2018. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "Ruch Chorzow 4 Ruch Radzionków 1". Ruch Chorzów. 19 January 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "17-latek z Ruchu Chorzów przejdzie do Leeds United". Meczyki. 22 January 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "Leeds confirm signing of Mateusz Bogusz from Ruch Chorzow". Sky Sports. 29 January 2019. Retrieved 29 January 2019.
- "Whites complete Mateusz Bogusz deal". leedsunited.com. Leeds United F.C. 29 January 2019. Retrieved 29 January 2019.
- "'True leader' – Leeds under-23 captain Hugo Diaz impresses the fans once again". The Boot Room. 12 March 2019. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- "Carlos Corberan on what the future can hold for Leeds United's PDL champions". Yorkshire Evening Post. 7 May 2019. Retrieved 15 May 2019.
- Mateusz Bogusz at Soccerway
- "Leeds United announce squad list for Australian tour". leedsunited.com. Leeds United F.C. 13 July 2019. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- "Western Sydney Wanderers 1–2 Leeds United – as it happened". The Guardian. 20 July 2019. Retrieved 25 July 2019.
- "Leeds United 2–2 Stoke City: Stoke win 5–4 on pens". BBC Sport. 27 August 2019. Retrieved 7 June 2021.
- Mewis, Joe (2 May 2020). "Mateusz Bogusz on 'incredible' Leeds development and first-team frustrations". LeedsLive. Retrieved 7 June 2021.
- "Championship: Leeds United promoted to Premier League after 16-year absence". BBC Sport. 17 July 2020. Retrieved 9 August 2020.
- "Leeds 4–0 Charlton: Addicks relegated to Sky Bet League One after heavy defeat". Sky Sports. 23 July 2020. Retrieved 7 June 2021.
- "Leeds United 1–1 Hull City: Hull book third-round place with 9–8 shootout win". BBC Sport. 25 September 2020. Retrieved 25 September 2020.
- Wilson, Paul (19 September 2020). "Leeds hold off spirited Fulham fightback after Hélder Costa double". The Guardian. Retrieved 25 September 2020.
- "Mateusz Bogusz signs new contract". leedsunited.com. Leeds United F.C. 11 August 2020. Retrieved 30 April 2021.
- "Mateusz Bogusz, refuerzo para el ataque blanquirrojo" [Mateusz Bogusz, addition to the white-and-red attack] (in Spanish). UD Logroñés. 6 October 2020. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- "Spanish Segunda División Table". ESPN. Retrieved 6 June 2021.
- "MATEUSZ BOGUSZ – PLAYER". Laczy Nas Pilka. 7 January 2019. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "Mateusz Bogusz has been named in Poland's squad". Leeds United Twitter. 19 August 2019. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Poland 4 Estonia 0". UEFA. 10 September 2019. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- "Poland 6 Estonia 0". UEFA. 5 September 2020. Retrieved 9 September 2020.
- "Who is Ruch Chorzow midfielder Mateusz Bogusz? Leeds United development signing profiled as switch nears". Yorkshire Evening Post. 22 January 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "Ruch Chorzów straci swój największy talent? "Wyjazd nie jest najlepszym posunięciem"" [Ruch Chorzów will lose its greatest talent? "Departure is not the best move"] (in Polish). Wyborcza. 7 January 2019. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Who is new Leeds United signing Mateusz Bogusz? We profile the Polish midfielder". Yorkshire Evening Post. 29 January 2019. Retrieved 29 January 2019.
- "Games played by Mateusz Bogusz in 2018/2019". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "Games played by Mateusz Bogusz in 2019/2020". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "Games played by Mateusz Bogusz in 2020/2021". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 6 June 2021.
- "Leeds United are champions!". Leeds United F.C. 18 July 2020. Retrieved 9 August 2020.