Memre Boekoe barracks

The Memre Boekoe barracks (Dutch: Memre Boekoe-kazerne) is a military installation in Paramaribo, Suriname. It was constructed during World War II as barracks for the American soldiers stationed in Suriname. It was originally named Kampement Gemenelandsweg. In 1950, it was renamed Prins Bernhard kampement. After the independence of Suriname on 25 November 1975, it was renamed Memre Boekoe barracks after Fort Boekoe, a fort used during the Boni Wars. It is currently used as the headquarters of the Surinamese Land Forces.

Memre Boekoe barracks
Paramaribo, Suriname
Jeeps at a military parade (1947)
Memre Boekoe barracks
Location within Paramaribo
Coordinates5.82668°N 55.17828°W / 5.82668; -55.17828
TypeHeadquarters / Barracks
Site information
OwnerSuriname Ministry of Defence
OperatorSuriname National Army
Site history
In useWorld War II to Present
Garrison information
OccupantsSurinamese Land Forces

Share this article:

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Memre Boekoe barracks, and is written by contributors. Text is available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 International License; additional terms may apply. Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.