MidCentral District Health Board
MidCentral District Health Board is a district health board that provides healthcare in the Manawatū region of New Zealand. The DHB covers the Manawatu District, Palmerston North City, Tararua District, Horowhenua District, and the Ōtaki ward of the Kapiti Coast District.
Te Pae Hauora o Ruahine o Tararua
|Purpose||District health board|
|Headquarters||Palmerston North, New Zealand|
The area covered by the MidCentral District Health Board is defined in Schedule 1 of the New Zealand Public Health and Disability Act 2000 and based on territorial authority and ward boundaries as constituted as at 1 January 2001. The area can be adjusted through an Order in Council.
Palmerston North Hospital is the DHB's main hospital, and serves as the major trauma centre for the DHB area.
The initial board was fully appointed. Since the 2001 local elections, the board has been partially elected (seven members) and in addition, up to four members get appointed by the Minister of Health. The minister also appoints the chairperson and deputy-chair from the pool of eleven board members.
The current board was sworn in on 9 December 2019, following the 2019 local elections. Brendan Duffy, a former mayor of the Horowhenua District, chairs the board.
The MidCentral DHB area had a population of 174,993 at the 2018 New Zealand census, an increase of 12,429 people (7.6%) since the 2013 census, and an increase of 16,152 people (10.2%) since the 2006 census. There were 85,575 males and 89,415 females, giving a sex ratio of 0.957 males per female. Of the total population, 34,602 people (19.8%) were aged up to 15 years, 35,463 (20.2%) were 15 to 29, 73,803 (42.2%) were 30 to 64, and 31,122 (17.8%) were 65 or older.
In terms of ethnicity, 75.9% of the population identified as European (Pākehā), 20.6% as Māori, 4.4% as Pacific peoples, 7.5% as Asian, 0.95 as Middle Eastern/Latin American/African and 1.5% as other ethnicities (totals add to more than 100% since people could identify with multiple ethnicities).
Of those aged 15 and over, 14.9% of people in MidCentral stated they were regular cigarette smokers. This was down from 16.9% at the 2013 census and 22.7% at the 2006 census.
- Palmerston North Hospital ( ) in Roslyn, Palmerston North has 354 beds and provides mental health, children's health, maternity, surgical, psychogeriatric, medical and geriatric services.
- Horowhenua Health Centre (Levin, Horowhenua has 28 beds and provides geriatric, maternity and medical services. ) in
- Crest Hospital (Papaioea, Palmerston North has 30 beds and provides surgical and medical services. ) in
- Te Papaioea Birthing Centre (Roslyn, Palmerston North has 12 beds and provides maternity services. ) in
- Dannevirke Community Hospital (Dannevirke, Tararua has 11 beds and provides maternity and medical services. ) in
- Arohanui Hospice (Roslyn, Palmerston North has 11 beds and provides medical services. ) in
- "Leadership Team". www.midcentraldhb.govt.nz. Retrieved 2 May 2020.
- Rudman, Brian (13 February 2012). "Brian Rudman: Three health boards must marry and economise". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- Public Health and Disability Act 2000, Schedule 1.
- Public Health and Disability Act 2000, Section 19.
- "New Zealand Out-of-Hospital Major Trauma Destination Policy -- Lower North Island Area" (PDF). National Trauma Network/Te Hononga Whētuki ā-Motu. February 2017.
- "District health boards". Ministry of Health. 12 February 2020. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- "Board and Committee Membership". www.midcentraldhb.govt.nz. Retrieved 2 May 2020.
- "Former Horowhenua mayor Brendan Duffy to chair health board". Stuff. Retrieved 2 May 2020.
- "Statistical area 1 dataset for 2018 Census". Statistics New Zealand. March 2020. MidCentral (12).
- "Cigarette smoking behaviour and ethnic group (grouped total responses) by age group and sex, for the census usually resident population count aged 15 years and over, 2006, 2013, and 2018 Censuses (RC, TA, SA2, DHB)". nzdotstat.stats.govt.nz. Retrieved 2 May 2020.
- "Palmerston North Hospital - Ministry of Health Profile". health.govt.nz. Ministry of Health.
- "Horowhenua Health Centre - Ministry of Health Profile". health.govt.nz. Ministry of Health.
- "Crest Hospital - Ministry of Health Profile". health.govt.nz. Ministry of Health.
- "Te Papaioea Birthing Centre - Ministry of Health Profile". health.govt.nz. Ministry of Health.
- "Dannevirke Community Hospital - Ministry of Health Profile". health.govt.nz. Ministry of Health.
- "Arohanui Hospice - Ministry of Health Profile". health.govt.nz. Ministry of Health.