Mole Valley (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
|Electorate||72,568 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Dorking, Leatherhead, Fetcham and Great Bookham|
|Member of Parliament||Sir Paul Beresford (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Dorking and Epsom & Ewell|
1983–1997: The District of Mole Valley, and the Borough of Guildford ward of Tillingbourne.
1997–present: The District of Mole Valley wards of Beare Green, Bookham North, Bookham South, Box Hill and Headley, Brockham, Betchworth and Buckland, Capel, Leigh and Newdigate, Charlwood, Dorking North, Dorking South, Fetcham East, Fetcham West, Holmwoods, Leatherhead North, Leatherhead South, Leith Hill, Mickleham, Westhumble and Pixham, Okewood, and Westcott, and the Borough of Guildford wards of Clandon and Horsley, Effingham, Lovelace, Send, and Tillingbourne.
The constituency is larger than the Mole Valley district in Surrey as it includes five wards in the east of the Borough of Guildford, three of which are nearer to Woking than to Dorking. The largest town in the constituency is Dorking, second largest is Leatherhead and there are many rural and semi-rural villages, generally within one hour's reach of London so properly classed as part of the London Commuter Belt.
History and constituency profile
The constituency was created in 1983; much of the same area was covered by the Dorking constituency which preceded it. It is a Conservative safe seat in terms of length of party tenure and great size of its majorities, It has a majority adult demographic of affluent middle-class families living in commuter towns and villages speedily connected to business parks by road and central London by rail, it was one of a few seats to return a new candidate as Conservative MP who won a majority in excess of 10,000 in the 1997 Labour landslide; the main opposition since 1983 has been the Liberal Democrats and their largest predecessor party, the Liberal Party.
Members of Parliament
|1997||Sir Paul Beresford||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Paul Kennedy||19,615||34.4||+15.1|
|Liberal Democrats||Paul Kennedy||10,955||19.3||+4.8|
|Liberal Democrats||Paul Kennedy||7,981||14.5||−14.2|
|Liberal Democrats||Alice Humphreys||15,610||28.7||−1.8|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Nasser Butt||15,063||30.5||+1.5|
|Liberal Democrats||Celia Savage||13,637||29.0||−0.3|
|ProLife Alliance||William Newton||475||1.0||New|
Elections in the 1990s
This constituency underwent boundary changes between the 1992 and 1997 general elections and thus change in share of vote is based on a notional calculation.
|Liberal Democrats||Stephen Cooksey||15,957||29.3||+0.6|
|Ind. Conservative||Richard Burley||1,276||2.3||New|
|Natural Law||Judith Thomas||197||0.4||−0.4|
|Liberal Democrats||Michael Watson||16,599||30.3||+0.4|
|Natural Law||Judith Thomas||442||0.8||New|
Elections in the 1980s
|Conservative win (new seat)|
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Mole Valley', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "M" (part 3)
- "Mole Valley Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "Statement of Persons Nominated 2017" (PDF). Mole Valley District Council. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "UK ELECTION RESULTS: Mole Valley 2015".
- "UK Polling Report".
- "Leonard Amos PPC page". Labour Party (UK). Archived from the original on 13 February 2015. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 6 Dec 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Election result, 2017 & 2015 (BBC)
- Election result, 2010 (BBC)
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1983 - 1992 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1992 - 2010 (Guardian)
- Election result, 2010 (UKPollingReport)