NHS Western Isles
NHS Western Isles is an NHS board serving the Outer Hebrides (Western Isles) of Scotland. It is one of the fourteen regions of NHS Scotland. NHS Western Isles is responsible for providing primary and secondary healthcare to the 26,000 people in the Outer Hebrides. It employs over 1,000 staff (excluding GPs and dentists).
|NHS Western Isles|
|Headquarters||37 South Beach |
|Region served||Outer Hebrides|
NHS Western Isles NHS has 3 Hospitals. The largest is the Western Isles Hospital, a rural general hospital located in Stornoway. It was opened in 1992 with a range of hospital acute specialities, psychiatry and care of the elderly. Some consultant led services are provided in the Western Isles hospital by consultants based in mainland hospitals. The hospital also includes diagnostic facilities, day hospital, laboratory and Allied Health Professionals and other services.
The Uist and Barra Hospital is located in Benbecula, and was opened in 2001. It provides a local service for the population of the Southern Isles. The Hospital has 29 beds, and provides care of the elderly, GP Acute and Midwifery led maternity services. Many of the Consultants from the Western Isles Hospital, and some from mainland Boards, visit the Uist & Barra Hospital to provide outpatient services.
St. Brendan's Hospital, with 5 beds, is located in Castlebay on the Isle of Barra and is in a shared building with a Local Authority Residential facility. It is supported by the local GP Practice to provide care of the elderly and other services.
General practitioners from nine different GP practices provide services at 14 sites across the Western Isles.
The board has a Baby friendly initiative award, presented to staff in both hospital and community divisions in June 2015.
- List of hospitals in Scotland (NHS Western Isles section)
- "Comments and suggestions". NHS Western Isles. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "Annual Accounts for the year ended 31 March 2018" (PDF). NHS Western Isles. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "Who we are and what we do..." NHS Western Isles. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "Welcome to NHS Western Isles". Western Isles NHS board. 2007-02-09.
- "Our hospitals and other healthcare premises". NHS Western Isles. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "First patients treated at Western Isles Dental Centre". Stornoway Gazette. 10 January 2011. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "Baby-friendly is best for Western Isles". Stornoway Gazette. 26 June 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "Staffing and Mainland travel". What do they know. Retrieved 1 June 2014.