Nantwich (UK Parliament constituency)
Nantwich was a parliamentary constituency in Cheshire which returned one Member of Parliament (MP) to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, elected using the first-past-the-post voting system.
|Former County constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Crewe & Nantwich, Eddisbury and Congleton|
|Created from||Crewe and Northwich|
It was abolished following the reorganisation of local authorities in 1974 by the Third Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies for the 1983 general election, when it was divided between the re-established constituency of Eddisbury and the new constituencies of Crewe and Nantwich, and Congleton.
The Urban District and the bulk of the Rural District of Nantwich were transferred from Crewe. Middlewich, Winsford, the southern part of the Rural District of Tarvin (including Malpas) and a small part of the Rural District of Northwich were transferred from Northwich.
From 1 April 1974 until the constituency was abolished at the next boundary review which came into effect for the 1983 general election, the constituency comprised parts of the expanded City of Chester and newly formed Boroughs of Crewe and Nantwich, and Vale Royal, but its boundaries were unchanged.
On abolition, Nantwich and surrounding rural areas were included in Crewe and Nantwich; Malpas and Winsford in Eddisbury; and Middlewich in Congleton.
Members of Parliament
|Feb 1974||John Cockcroft||Conservative|
|1983||constituency abolished: see Eddisbury & Crewe and Nantwich|
Elections in the 1970s
|National Front||J. Green||814||1.6||New|
Elections in the 1960s
Elections in the 1950s
|Conservative win (new seat)|
- "'Nantwich', Feb 1974 - May 1983". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Archived from the original on 3 April 2016. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- Craig, Fred W. S. (1972). Boundaries of parliamentary constituencies 1885-1972. Chichester: Political Reference Publications. ISBN 0-900178-09-4. OCLC 539011.
- UK General Election results May 1979
- UK General Election results October 1974
- UK General Election results February 1974
- UK General Election Results 1970
- The Times' Guide to the House of Commons. 1970.
- UK General Election results March 1966
- The Times' Guide to the House of Commons. 1966.
- UK General Election results October 1964
- The Times' Guide to the House of Commons. 1964.
- UK General Election results October 1959
- The Times' Guide to the House of Commons. 1959.
- UK General Election results May 1955
- The Times' Guide to the House of Commons. 1955.
- Boundaries of Parliamentary Constituencies 1885-1972, compiled and edited by F. W. S. Craig (Political Reference Publications, 1972)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "N" (part 1)