Norfolk (European Parliament constituency)
Norfolk was a constituency of the European Parliament located in the United Kingdom, electing one Member of the European Parliament by the first-past-the-post electoral system. Created in 1979 for the first elections to the European Parliament, it was abolished in 1999 on the adoption of proportional representation for European elections in the United Kingdom. It was succeeded by the East of England region.
|European Parliament constituency|
|Member state||United Kingdom|
After the 1984 boundary changes based on the new UK parliamentary constituencies created in 1983, it consisted of the constituencies of Great Yarmouth, Mid Norfolk, North Norfolk, North West Norfolk, Norwich North, Norwich South, South Norfolk and South West Norfolk.
1994 saw further boundary changes and the constituency now consisted of Great Yarmouth, Mid Norfolk, North Norfolk, North West Norfolk, Norwich North, Norwich South and South Norfolk. South West Norfolk was transferred to the constituency of Suffolk and South West Norfolk.
The entire area became part of the East of England constituency in 1999.
The constituency's first MEP, Paul Howell, was the son of Ralph Howell, the long-serving Conservative MP for North Norfolk which was in this constituency.
|1999||constituency abolished, part of East of England from 1999|
|Conservative||Paul Frederick Howell||76,424||33.6||−8.7|
|Liberal Democrats||Paul Burall||39,107||17.2||+13.1|
|Natural Law||Bryan Parsons||1,075||0.5||New|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+10.6|
|Conservative||Paul Frederick Howell||92,385||42.3||−7.5|
|Labour||M E Page||71,478||32.7||+2.2|
|Green||M G Filgate||40,575||18.6||New|
|SLD||R A Lawes||8,902||4.1||−15.6|
|SDP||S D Maxwell||4,934||2.3||New|
|Conservative||Paul Frederick Howell||95,459||49.8||−10.0|
|Labour||A E B Heading||58,602||30.5||+0.1|
|SDP||L V Williams||37,703||19.7||New|
|Conservative||Paul Frederick Howell||102,981||59.8|
|Liberal||E B S Baxter||16,805||9.8|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
- Boundary Commission for England, European Assembly Constituencies, December 1978.
- European Parliament Information Office, MEPs and their constituencies, December 1988
- The European Parliament 1994–1999 : MEPs and European constituencies in the United Kingdom, London : UK Office of the European Parliament, November 1994.
- Europe elections 1994 : results and elected members, Directorate-General for Information and Public Relations, Luxembourg: European Parliament, 15 June 1994.
- Europe votes 3 : European parliamentary election results 1989, ed. by T.T. Mackie, Dartmouth, 1990.
- Europe votes 2 : European Parliamentary election results, 1979–1984, eds. T.T. Mackie and F.W.S. Craig, Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services, 1985.
- European Parliament election 1979 : United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland : results of the European election on 7 June 1979, Luxembourg: European Parliament, October 1983