North and South Western Junction Railway
The North and South Western Junction Railway (NSWJR) was a short railway in west London, England. It opened in 1853, connecting Willesden on the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) with Brentford on the London and South Western Railway (LSWR). After a difficult start it became an important freight route and that usage continues today. A passenger service linked LSWR stations with the North London Railway, and a branch was built to Hammersmith.
|Dates of operation||1853–1871|
|Successor||Joint ownership: London and North Western Railway, Midland Railway, North London Railway|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
Today the part of the original main line between South Acton Junction and a point near Willesden Junction carries the heavily used Richmond to Stratford passenger service, and the whole of the main line remains as an important freight connection, but the Hammersmith branch has closed and no regular passenger service remains on the southern section of the main line.