The village has emerged from a rural colony founded on the terrain of a former crown-land type of farm steading administered by the Prussian royal domain office of Tuchel (German: Königliches Domänenamt Tuchel) which around 1789 controlled four domains and 123 villages. The foundation of the village dates back to the last quarter of the 18th century; already at that time the village had also a Jewish school. In a list of all towns and villages of Prussia compiled around 1849, the settlement of Neu-Tuchel is described as a `village of parcel owners´ (German: Parzellistendorf).
The history of the village is similar to the history of the neighbouring town of Tuchel. Around the end of the third quarter of the 19th century both places belonged to Kreis Konitz in the administrative district of Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder of the German Province of Prussia. In 1863 and 1869 the competent land-registry office was located in Tuchel. Because of population growth in Prussia, in 1875 the new Kreis Tuchel was formed, of which Neu-Tuchel became part. In 1878 the Province of Prussia was sub-divided into the Province of West Prussia and the Province of East Prussia, and since then the village belonged to West Prussia. In 1894 the county court and post office appertaining to Neu-Tuchel were located in Tuchel.
When on January 10, 1920, the regulations of the Treaty of Versailles became effective, Neu-Tuchel together with Kreis Tuchel became part of the Second Polish Republic. In 1939 the region was annexed by Germany's Third Reich, and on November 26, 1939, Neu-Tuchel together with Kreis Tuchel were integrated into the newly formed Reichsgau West Prussia – later on Reichsgau Danzig-West Prussia – in the new administrative district of Regierungsbezirk Bromberg.
Second World War and thereafter
According to a Polish source, at the beginning of World War II a massacre was committed in Neu-Tuchel. During the German Invasion of Poland in 1939, members of German minority from Selbstschutz on 30 September murdered 48 people in the village, including two Poles and 46 Jews. The victims were collected also from neighbouring villages. Among the Germans following names were identified: Helmut Bratsch, Hans Briske, Walter Klos, Kurt Merten-Feddler and Willy Müller. Concerning the same incident, according to another source, in connection with suspicion of arson at least 45 Poles were killed on 24 October, i.e. more than two weeks after the campaign had ended on October 6, 1939.
After the end of the war the village was put under the administration of the People's Republic of Poland and integrated under its Polish name Nowa Tuchola into the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship.
Number of inhabitants by year
|1865||410||in 42 private dwelling houses, incl. 262 Catholics and 142 Protestants|
- Topographisch-statistisches Handbuch für den Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder, Danzig 1868; see III. Kreis Konitz, pp. 50-51, entry no. 349 (in German).
- Johann Friedrich Goldbeck: Volständige Topographie des Königreichs Preussen, Part II: Topograpie von West-Preussen, Marienwerder 1789, p. 76, paragraph 3) (in German).
- Georg Dabinnus: Die ländliche Bevölkerung Pommerellens im Jahre 1772 unter Einschluss des Danziger Landgebiets im Jahr 1793, Marburg 1953, p. 16 (in German).
- Eduard Messow: Alphabetisches Verzeichnis sämmtlicher Ortschaften des Preußischen Staates, Magdeburg 1850, p. 109 (in German).
- Amts-Blatt der Königlichen Regierung zu Marienwerder, Vol. 58, No. 19, Marienwerder, May 13, 1863, p. 80 (compare the entry for the widow of Johann Jonczinski from Neu-Tuchel, who received 191 Reichsthaler compensation for a house burned down) (in German).
- Amts-Blatt der Königlichen Regierung zu Marienwerder, Vol. 59, No. 18, Marienwerder, May 5, 1869, p. 92, entry no. 148 (in German).
- Michael Rademacher: Deutsche Verwaltungsgeschichte Provinz Westpreußen (2006) (in German).
- Szymon Datner "55 dni Wehrmachtu w Polsce" page 463
- Fritz Bauer: Justiz und NS-Verbrechen – Sammlung deutscher Strafurteile wegen nationalsozialistischer Tötungsverbrechen 1945–1966, Vol. 21, Holland University Press, 1968, p. 37 (in German).