Official Opposition Shadow Cabinet (United Kingdom)
In British parliamentary practice, the Official Opposition Shadow Cabinet (usually known simply as the shadow cabinet) consists of senior members of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition who scrutinise their corresponding government ministers, develop alternative policies, and hold the government to account for its actions and responses. Since May 2010, the Labour Party has been Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, and its leadership therefore forms the current shadow cabinet.
|This article is part of a series on|
|Politics of the United Kingdom|
|United Kingdom portal|
Not all opposition frontbenchers are members of the shadow cabinet, which is composed of the most senior opposition members (usually around twenty).
The leader of the opposition, the opposition chief whip and opposition deputy chief whip are the only members of the Official Opposition to be paid for their opposition roles in addition to their salaries as members of Parliament. The leader of the opposition and the opposition chief whip in the House of Lords also receive a salary.
|Sits in the House of Commons|
|Sits in the House of Lords|
- This member is also a Privy Counsellor
- Portfolio was Shadow Minister rank (attending Shadow Cabinet) until May 2021 reshuffle, when promoted to Shadow Secretary of State
- Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition (United Kingdom)
- Official Opposition frontbench
- List of British shadow cabinets
- List of shadow holders of the Great Offices of State
- 2010 Labour Party (UK) Shadow Cabinet election
- Liberal Democrat frontbench team
- Cabinet of the United Kingdom
- British Government frontbench