Onomastics can be helpful in data mining, with applications such as named-entity recognition, or recognition of the origin of names. It has also been used in historical research to identify ethnic minorities within wider populations.
Onomastics originates from the Greek onomastikós (ὀνομαστικός, 'of or belonging to naming'), itself derived from ónoma (ὄνομα, 'name').
- Toponymy (or toponomastics), one of the principal branches of onomastics, is the study of place names.
- Anthroponomastics is the study of personal names.
- Literary onomastics is the branch that researches the names in works of literature and other fiction.
- Ancient Greek personal names
- Extinction of surnames
- Mononymous persons
- Naming convention
- -onym, listing the technical kinds of names
- American Name Society
- English Place-Name Society
- Guild of One-Name Studies
- International Council of Onomastic Sciences
- Society for Name Studies in Britain and Ireland
- UNGEGN Toponymic Guidelines
- United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names
- "onomastics". Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary.
- Carsenat, Elian (2013). "Onomastics and Big Data Mining". arXiv:1310.6311 [cs.CY].
- Mitzlaff, Folke; Stumme, Gerd (2013). "Onomastics 2.0 - The Power of Social Co-Occurrences". arXiv:1303.0484 [cs.IR].
- Crymble, Adam (2017-02-09). "How Criminal were the Irish? Bias in the Detection of London Currency Crime, 1797-1821". The London Journal. 43: 36–52. doi:10.1080/03058034.2016.1270876.
- Crymble, Adam (2015-07-26). "A Comparative Approach to Identifying the Irish in Long Eighteenth-Century London" (PDF). Historical Methods. 48 (3): 141–152. doi:10.1080/01615440.2015.1007194. hdl:2299/16184.
- ὀνομαστικός, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, on Perseus project
- "Online Etymology Dictionary". etymonline.com. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- ὄνομα, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, on Perseus project
- Alvarez-Altman, Grace; Burelbach, Frederick M. (1987). Names in Literature: Essays from Literary Onomastics Studies.