Philip S. Kosnett
Philip Scott Kosnett is an American diplomat. He was sworn in as the fifth U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Kosovo on November 27, 2018. Kosnett's previous assignment was as Chargé d'Affaires ad interim at the United States Embassy in Ankara, Turkey. Kosnett was nominated in July 2018 by the U.S. president to be the next ambassador to the Republic of Kosovo. The Senate confirmed him in this position in September 2018.
Philip S. Kosnett
|5th United States Ambassador to Kosovo|
|Assumed office |
December 3, 2018
|Preceded by||Greg Delawie|
|Education||Harvard University A.B.|
|Occupation||American diplomat, Chargé d'Affaires ad interim at the United States Embassy in Ankara, Turkey, Ambassador to the Republic of Kosovo|
Early life and education
Kosnett worked as a game designer during his enrollment in high school and college, primarily in New York. After graduating from Harvard University he worked as a teacher in Japan. He then launched a career in Foreign Service, with his first assignment in Ankara, Turkey, serving as a political and consular officer. Following his initial assignment, he then served at eight different United States Missions in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East and in senior leadership positions at the Department of State. The positions included Deputy Chief of Mission and Chargé d'Affaires of the U.S. Embassy in Tashkent, Uzbekistan and Deputy Chief of Mission at the embassy in Iceland. He also served in other political, political-military, and economic-commercial positions at the US Embassies in Afghanistan, Iraq, Kosovo, Netherlands, and Japan.
In Washington, Kosnett served in the State Department's bureaus of European, Counter-terrorism, Political-Military, and Intelligence & Research affairs and also worked in the 24-hour Operations Center.
Before beginning his assignment in Turkey, Kosnett served as Director of the State Department Office of Southern European Affairs and was responsible for U.S. relations with Turkey, Greece, and Cyprus.
Diplomatic service in Turkey
In July 2016, Kosnett began working at the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, Turkey, initially as the Deputy Chief of Mission. He then assumed the duties of Chargé d’Affaires on October 15, 2017, after former ambassador John R. Bass finished his assignment.
United States Ambassador to Kosovo
In July 2018, Kosnett was nominated by U.S. president Trump to be the next ambassador to Kosovo. Kosnett succeeds Greg Delawie, who was U.S. Ambassador to Kosovo 2015–2018. Kosnett's nomination was confirmed in September 2018 by the Senate.
Kosnett is the recipient of over 10 Department of State awards, including the State Department Superior Honor and Meritorious Honor Awards. He was also awarded the Medal for Exceptional Civilian Service by the Office of the Secretary of Defense, and the Army Medal for Outstanding Civilian Service.
Kosnett is married to Alison Kosnett, an international business and development consultant. They have 2 children: Alex, an environmental planner, and Nicole, a social media producer. Kosnett speaks Turkish, Russian, Dutch, and Japanese.
- "PN702 — Foreign Service". U.S. Congress. December 22, 1987. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- "Philip Kosnett – Former Chargé d'Affaires". U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Turkey. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Personnel to Key Administration Posts". whitehouse.gov. July 5, 2018. Retrieved October 1, 2018 – via National Archives.
- "Dorm History Search". Harvard Computer Society. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Ambassador Philip S. Kosnett". U.S. Embassy in Kosovo. Retrieved 2020-09-21.
- "USAID Provides Technology to Improve TB Diagnosis". U.S. Embassy in Uzbekistan. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Testimony of Philip Kosnett" (PDF). United States Senate Committee on Foreign. August 16, 2018. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Dewan, Angela (October 9, 2017). "Turkey summons US diplomat in escalating visa spat". CNN politics. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Cam, Tugrul (October 9, 2017). "Turkey: US diplomat summoned over visa row". Anadolu Agency. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Turkey summons US envoy Philip Kosnett over current situation in Syria". Financial Express. January 11, 2018. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Philip S. Kosnett is the new US Ambassador to Kosovo". GazetaExpress. July 6, 2018. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Pajazizi, Muhamer (August 20, 2018). "Talks between Kosovo and Serbia heading towards an end". Independent Balkan News Agency. Retrieved October 1, 2018.