Polish Academy of Sciences

The Polish Academy of Sciences (Polish: Polska Akademia Nauk, PAN) is a Polish state-sponsored institution of higher learning. Headquartered in Warsaw, it is responsible for spearheading the development of science across the country by a society of distinguished scholars and a network of research institutes. It was established in 1951, during the early period of the Polish People's Republic following World War II.[2]

Polish Academy of Sciences
AbbreviationPAN
Formation30 October 1951; 69 years ago (30 October 1951)[1]
TypeNational academy, Academy of Sciences
HeadquartersWarsaw
Region served
Poland
President
Jerzy Duszyński
Websitepan.pl
Formerly called
Warsaw Scientific Society
Warsaw Society of Friends of Learning
Staszic Palace, the seat of PAN, and Copernicus Monument