Portus Adurni

Portus Adurni was a Roman fort in the Roman province of Britannia situated at the north end of Portsmouth Harbour. It was part of the Saxon Shore, and is the best-preserved Roman fort north of the Alps.[1] Around an eighth of the fort has been excavated.[2]

Photograph of Portchester Castle in June 1938 by Major George Allen (1891–1940). The square perimeter walls survive from the Roman period.

It was later converted into a medieval castle known as Portchester Castle.


Share this article:

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Portus Adurni, and is written by contributors. Text is available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 International License; additional terms may apply. Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.