Princess Margaret Hospital, Christchurch
|Princess Margaret Hospital|
|Location||Christchurch, Canterbury Region, New Zealand|
|Care system||Canterbury District Health Board|
|Opened||31 August 1959|
|Lists||Hospitals in New Zealand|
The SEGAR block was opened on 31 August 1959 as a general hospital, but is primarily used for older persons health care and mental health services. It also houses much of the administration of Canterbury District Health Board. It is built at the foot of the Port Hills, at the western edge of the suburb of Cashmere.
The land was purchased from the Cracroft Wilson estate and the buildings designed by the Christchurch architectural partnership of Seward and Stanton. Charles Luney was chosen as the construction professional. The complex was opened by the then Governor-General of New Zealand, Charles Lyttelton, 10th Viscount Cobham.
South Island Eating Disorders Service
Princess Margaret Hospital has a regional service that specially caters for people suffering from eating disorders known as the South Island Eating Disorders Service. The unit is the only place in New Zealand which has a in-patient unit specifically offering a dedicated weight gain programme to treat people with eating disorders.
The unit is small and holds six to seven service users and shares facilities with the Mothers and Babies Unit next door (the two are collectively known as C-Ward"). The unit also has an outpatient area designed for people to have therapy suffering from eating disorders.
- "Cashmere (later Princess Margaret) Hospital, shown under construction". Christchurch City Libraries. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Charles Seymour Luney (Chas), QSO, CNZM 1905 – 2006". Christchurch City Libraries. Retrieved 5 June 2011.