Professional Publishers Association
The Professional Publishers Association (PPA), formerly known as the Periodical Publishers Association until 2011, is the main publishing industry body which promotes companies involved in the production of media, supporting the creative economy at governmental level in the United Kingdom.
The organisation was first founded in 1913 as the Society of Weekly Newspapers and Periodical Proprieters to discuss matters around unionisation, distribution and material supplies in the early 20th Century. It celebrated its centenary on November 19, 2013.
Much of the PPA's work is carried out through events, committees and public relations work as documented in their extensive archive of organisational documents dating back to 1942. The association now also covers digital media and a specific committee for smaller, independent publishers, the PPA Independent Publishers Network (IPN).
The current CEO of the PPA is Owen Meredith, appointed in 2020 after Barry McIlheney stepped down after 10 years in the post. The current Chairman of the PPA Board is Tom Bureau, also appointed in 2020 after being deputy chair for a year. The organisation's branch in Scotland caters specifically for publishing businesses in that region. The Chairman of PPA Scotland is John Innes.
Awards and events
The PPA Awards are run annually to recognise talent and excellence in the publishing industry. Relaunched in 2019. CampaignLive billed the 2020 awards as the "magazine Oscars". In 2020, the PPA Awards for Editor of the Year was won by Vogue magazine's Edward Enninful and the inaugural Diversity Initiative of the Year awarded to Meghan Markle's guest-edited "Forces for Change" issue.
Other events and awards run by the organisation are the PPA Independent Publisher Conference & Awards aimed at independent publications, the PPA New Talent/30 Under 30 Awards to recognise young professionals in the industry, and the PPA Festival. In 2019, the UK's Culture Secretary (minister), Jeremy Wright spoke at the PPA Festival.
- "Publishers Association Ltd/The - Company Profile and News". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- "Name change for Periodical Publishers Association". www.newstatesman.com. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- Whittaker, Jason (2017). Magazine Production. Taylor & Francis. pp. 4–32. ISBN 978-1-138-12214-7.
- "House of Commons - Culture, Media and Sport Committee: Written evidence submitted by the Professional Publishers Association (PPA)". publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- Stam & Scott, David, Andrew (5 March 2014). Inside Magazine Publishing. Routledge. ISBN 9781317817130.
- "Roy Greenslade: Magazines looking to golden age, not a survival battle". www.standard.co.uk. 2013-11-20. Retrieved 2021-02-18.
- "StackPath". www.hatads.org.uk. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- Joseph, Seb (2013-02-06). "PPA unveils print and digital tool for mags". Marketing Week. Retrieved 2021-02-11.
- "New wave of publishers printing wonderful hard-copy titles". The Independent. 2014-02-20. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- "Owen Meredith appointed new CEO at PPA". FIPP. 2020-10-20. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- Tobitt, Charlotte (2020-02-10). "PPA chief executive steps down after ten years". Press Gazette. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- Mayhew, Freddy (2019-02-25). "Immediate Media chief takes on deputy role at PPA". Press Gazette. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- "Immediate Media's Tom Bureau becomes PPA deputy chair". www.campaignlive.co.uk. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- "Creating a global festival for magazine lovers: PPA Scotland's Laura Kelly Dunlop". What’s New in Publishing | Digital Publishing News. 2019-09-03. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- "Big Changes as PPA Awards Relaunch for 2019". InPublishing.
- "The PPA show must go on: magazine Oscars turn 40". www.campaignlive.co.uk. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- Kmietowicz, Zosia (16 July 2014). "The BMJ's editor wins publishing industry award". The British Medical Journal. ProQuest 1777778143.
- EDT, Jack Royston On 7/1/20 at 1:00 PM (2020-07-01). "Meghan Markle 'honored' by award for 'Vogue' issue featuring Greta Thunberg". Newsweek. Retrieved 2021-02-10.
- Friel, Mikhaila (2020-07-02). "Meghan Markle's British Vogue issue has won a diversity award a year after it was criticised for not including enough white people on the cover". Business Insider Australia. Retrieved 2021-02-10.
- "PPA Independent Publisher Awards – winners announced". www.inpublishing.co.uk. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- "The PPA Festival 2020". What’s New in Publishing | Digital Publishing News. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- "Jeremy Wright speaking at the Professional Publishers Association Festival". GOV.UK. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- "PPA aims to boost diversity in magazines with first industry-wide survey". www.campaignlive.co.uk. Retrieved 2021-02-08.