List of protomartyrs
A protomartyr (Koine Greek, πρότος prótos "first" + μάρτυρας mártyras "martyr") is the first Christian martyr in a country or among a particular group, such as a religious order. Similarly, the phrase the Protomartyr (with no other qualification of country or region) can mean Saint Stephen, the first martyr of the Christian church. Saint Thecla the Protomartyr, the first female martyr of the Christian church, is known as "apostle and protomartyr among women".
|First Martyrs of the Church of Rome||64||Rome||in Rome|
|Saint Alban||3rd/4th c.||St Albans||in Great Britain|
|Vincent of Saragossa||304||Valencia||in Spain|
|Rajden the First-Martyr||457||Tsromi||from Georgia / under the Sassanid Empire|
|Odran||5th c.||Ireland||in Ireland|
|Adalbert of Prague||997||Prussia||Duchy of Poland|
|The Franciscan protomartyrs||1220||Morocco||of the Franciscan order|
|Child Martyrs of Tlaxcala||1527||Mexico||in the Americas|
|Juan de Padilla||1542||Kansas||in what is now the United States|
|Luis Cáncer||1549||Tampa Bay, Florida||in Florida|
|Peter Baptist and companions||1627||Nagasaki||in Japan|
|Philip of Jesus||1627||Nagasaki||from Mexico|
|St. Lorenzo Ruiz||1637||Nagasaki||from the Philippines|
|Blessed Andrew of Phu Yen||1641||Kẻ Chàm, Vietnam||in Vietnam|
|André de Soveral||1645||Canguaretama||in Brazil|
|Francis Ferdinand de Capillas||1648||Fujian, China||in the Chinese Empire|
|Pedro Calungsod||1672||Tumon, Guam||in Guam|
|Juvenaly||1796||Kuinerrak, Alaska||in Alaska|
|Andrew Kim Taegon||1846||Seoul||in Korea|
|James Hannington||1885||Uganda||in Eastern Equatorial Africa|
|Peter Chanel||1841||Futuna||in Oceania|
|St. Vladimir Bogoyavlensky||1918||Moscow||under the Soviet Union|
|Stanley Rother||1981||Guatemala||U.S. native-born citizen to be considered a martyr and beatified by the Catholic Church|
- Michael F. Bird, Scott Harrower, The Cambridge Companion to the Apostolic Fathers, Cambridge University Press (2021), p. 183; see also St. Thekla, Protomartyr and Equal to the Apostles (antiochian.org).
- Thurston, Herbert. "St. Alban." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 1. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1907.
- Machitadze, Archpriest Zakaria (2006), "St. Razhden, Protomartyr of the Georgian Church (†457)", in The Lives of the Georgian Saints Archived 2008-06-14 at the Wayback Machine. pravoslavie.ru. Retrieved on 2011-12-18.
- Proto-martyrs of the Americas
- Philip of Jesus, one of the companions of Peter Baptist, was long known as the first Mexican saint. This has technically no longer been the case since the canonization of the Child Martyrs of Tlaxcala by Pope Francis in 2017.
- "WYD02 Saints: Blessed Andrew of Phu Yen – Protomartyr of Vietnam". Archived from the original on 2010-11-28. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- Protomartyrs of Brazil
- Juvenaly of Alaska
- EWTN (27 September 2017). Beatification of Venerable Father Stanley Rother (video). Retrieved 6 May 2020 – via YouTube.