Quality press is a category of British newspapers in national circulation distinguished by their seriousness. The category used to be called "broadsheet" until several papers adopted a tabloid printing format. Both The Times and The Independent adopted a tabloid format in 2004. The Guardian adopted a Berliner format in 2005, before switching to tabloid in January 2018.
This section needs to be updated. (December 2017)
Circulation figures for the quality press have been falling in recent times, and in December 2009 it was reported that readership of The Guardian, The Independent, The Times, and Financial Times had decreased over the previous 12 months.
"Quality press" titles
Title Published Format Est. Owner Orientation Political party support in 2019 General Election The Times Daily Compact 1785 News Corporation Centre-right Conservative Party The Sunday Times Sunday Broadsheet 1822 News Corporation Centre-right Conservative Party The Guardian Daily Compact 1821 Scott Trust Limited Centre-left Labour Party The Observer Sunday Compact 1791 Scott Trust Limited Centre-left None (Encouraged tactical voting against the Conservatives) Financial Times Daily Broadsheet 1888 Nikkei Inc. Centre None The Daily Telegraph Daily Broadsheet 1855 Barclay brothers' Press Holdings Right-wing Conservative Party The Sunday Telegraph Sunday Broadsheet 1961 Barclay brothers' Press Holdings Right-wing Conservative Party i Daily Compact 2010 Daily Mail and General Trust Centre None
- Peter Preston (17 December 2009). "Circulation falls for UK quality press". Guardian. What's New in Publishing. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- "The Times's endorsement for the general election: Back to the Future". ISSN 0140-0460. Retrieved 2020-09-11.
- Editorial. "The Guardian view on general election 2019: A fleeting chance to stop Boris Johnson in his tracks | Editorial". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-09-11.
- editorial, Observer (2019-12-08). "The Observer view on who to vote for in the general election | Observer editorial". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-09-11.
- "Subscribe to read | Financial Times". www.ft.com. Retrieved 2020-09-11. Cite uses generic title (help)
- View, Telegraph (2019-12-12). "Vote Conservative to move our country forward". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2020-09-11.
- View, Telegraph (2019-12-07). "Vote Conservative to say 'yes' to Brexit and to reject Labour's politics of hate". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2020-09-11.
- "The future of the UK is at stake and our choices are stark — it's over to you". inews.co.uk. 2019-12-12. Retrieved 2020-09-11.