Toloi warming up with Atalanta in 2016
|Full name||Rafael Toloi|
|Date of birth||10 October 1990|
|Place of birth||Glória d'Oeste, Mato Grosso, Brazil|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|2014||→ Roma (loan)||5||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:00, 24 May 2021 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 4 June 2021
Toloi represented his native country internationally at the under-20 level in 2009, but switched allegiance at the senior grade to Italy on February 17, 2021 after meeting FIFA's five-year residency requirement. He had been living in Italy since his move to Atalanta early in the 2015–16 season, and had years earlier acquired Italian citizenship, for which he was eligible because his great grandparents hailed from Treviso. He made his senior debut for Italy in 2021, and also represented the nation at UEFA Euro 2020.
Born in Glória d'Oeste, Mato Grosso, he started playing for Goiás Esporte Clube in 2008, and helped his club win the Campeonato Goiano in 2009. Toloi played 17 Série B games for Goiás and scored two goals.
On 5 July 2012, São Paulo FC confirmed Toloi in their squad, with the defender signing a five-year contract. He scored his first goal for tricolor paulista on 25 July 2012 in a match against Atlético Goianiense.
Loan to Roma
On 31 January 2014, Toloi was loaned to Serie A side A.S. Roma for the remainder of the 2013–14 season for a fee of €500,000. The move was agreed with an option to buy for a total value of €5.5 million. He made his debut for the Giallorossi in their 2–1 win against Torino on 25 March 2014, playing the full 90 minutes in place of the suspended Medhi Benatia.
On 26 August 2015, Toloi was signed by Atalanta B.C. for a €3.5 million transfer fee. He made his debut on 13 September, in a 2–2 league draw at Sassuolo, replacing Gianpaolo Bellini in the 80th minute. In his second match, eleven days later, he started and scored the sole goal, settling a 1–0 league win at Empoli.
On 22 February 2018, Toloi scored for the first time in a UEFA competition, against Borussia Dortmund in the Europa League round of 32. The match ended in a 1–1 draw, which was not enough to see Atalanta through the next round after a 3–2 defeat in the first leg.
Having satisfied its eligibility rules by possessing Italian citizenship, residing in Italy for five years, and never representing Brazil at the senior level, FIFA approved Toloi's switch of international allegiance to Italy on 17 February 2021. He was subsequently named to the Italian squad by manager Roberto Mancini on March 19, 2021, and made his debut on the 31st in the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Lithuania, playing the entire match in a 2–0 away victory.
- As of match played 23 May 2021
|Club||Season||League||State League||National Cup||Continental||Other||Total|
|São Paulo||2012||Série A||26||1||—||—||10||2||—||36||3|
|Roma (loan)||2013–14||Serie A||5||0||—||0||0||—||—||5||0|
- Campeonato Goiano: 2009, 2012
- "Comunicato Ufficiale N. 242" [Official Statement No. 242] (PDF) (in Italian). Lega Serie A. 15 May 2018. p. 3. Retrieved 14 June 2021.
- "Rafael Tolói" (in Portuguese). Esportes iG. Archived from the original on 4 October 2011. Retrieved 21 November 2009.
- The Associated Press (17 February 2021). "Brazil-born Atalanta captain Tolói cleared to play for Italy". The Toronto Star. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- Football Italia staff (20 March 2021). "Toloi Italy 'dream come true'". Football Italia. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- "Rafael Tolói" (in Portuguese). Yahoo! Brasil Esportes. Retrieved 21 November 2009.
- Comunicato Stampa "Operazioni di Mercato" della AS Roma
- Italiano: Rafael Toloi estreia e garente vitória do Roma
- "Rafael Toloi assina com o Atalanta e é apresentado" [Rafael Toloi signs with Atalanta and is unveiled] (in Portuguese). Goal.com. 26 August 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2021.
- "Sassuolo vs. Atalanta". Soccerway. 13 September 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2021.
- "Empoli vs. Atalanta". Soccerway. 24 September 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2021.
- "Atalanta vs. Borussia Dortmund". Soccerway. 22 February 2018. Retrieved 6 February 2021.
- Passarella, Enrico (18 February 2021). "Italy Gains One More Defender as Rafael Toloi Gets Greenlight from FIFA". Cult of Calcio. Retrieved 19 February 2021.
- "Toloi è italiano: la FIFA dà l'ok alla FIGC, Mancini può chiamarlo | Goal.com". www.goal.com. Retrieved 2 March 2021.
- "Atalanta, Toloi è italiano: si gioca un posto nella Nazionale di Mancini". La Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian). 17 February 2021.
- "Trentotto convocati per i match con Irlanda del Nord, Bulgaria e Lituania: prima chiamata per Toloi e Matteo Ricci". figc.it. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- AP News (19 March 2021). "Mancini calls up 38 players for Italy's World Cup qualifiers". AP News. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- "Toloi gladly adapted for Italy". Football Italia. 31 March 2021.
- "I convocati dell'Italia per gli Europei 2021: dentro Raspadori e Sensi, fuori Mancini e Politano". Il Corriere della Sera (in Italian). 2 June 2021.
- "Rafael Tolói" (in Portuguese). Futebol de Goyaz. Retrieved 5 May 2021.
- Rafael Toloi at Soccerway. Retrieved 5 May 2021.
- "Rafael Toloi". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmermann. Retrieved 5 May 2021.