Robert Steven Kaplan
Robert Steven Kaplan (born 1957) is president and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. He was appointed to the position on September 8, 2015.
|13th President of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas|
|Assumed office |
September 8, 2015
|Preceded by||Helen Holcomb (Acting)|
|Born||July 1957 (age 63–64)|
Prairie Village, Kansas, U.S.
|Education||University of Kansas, Lawrence (BS)|
Harvard University (MBA)
Prior to joining the Dallas Fed, Kaplan was a Senior Associate Dean and the Martin Marshall Professor of Management Practice at Harvard Business School. Kaplan is an active venture philanthropist through his work as co-chairman of the Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation, a global venture philanthropy firm which has invested in approximately 110 new non-profit ventures. He serves as chairman of Project A.L.S., and a board member of Harvard Medical School.
He is the author of three books: What to Ask the Person in the Mirror: Critical Questions for Becoming a More Effective Leader and Reaching Your Potential (Harvard Business Review Press, 2011), What You're Really Meant to Do: A Road Map for Reaching Your Unique Potential (Harvard Business Review Press, 2013), and What You Really Need to Lead: The Power of Thinking and Acting Like an Owner (Harvard Business School Review Press, 2015).
In August 2015, Kaplan was named to head the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, effective September 2015.
Prior to joining Harvard in 2006, Kaplan was vice chairman of the Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. with global responsibility for the firm's Investment Banking and Investment Management Divisions. He became a partner in 1990 and served as co-chairman of the firm’s Partnership Committee. He was also a member of the Management Committee.
Following his 23-year career at Goldman Sachs, Kaplan became a senior director of the firm.
Personal life and education
- Kaplan, Robert Steven. What You Really Need to Lead: The Power of Thinking and Acting Like an Owner. Boston, MA, USA: Harvard Business Review Press, September 2015.
- Kaplan, Robert Steven. What You're Really Meant To Do: A Road Map for Reaching Your Unique Potential. Boston, MA, USA: Harvard Business Review Press, 2013.
- Kaplan, Robert Steven. What to Ask the Person in the Mirror: Critical Questions for Becoming a More Effective Leader and Reaching Your Potential. Boston: Harvard Business Review Press, 2011.
- Neeley, Tsedal, and Robert Steven Kaplan. "What's Your Language Strategy? It Should Bind Your Company's Global Talent Management and Vision." R1409D. Harvard Business Review 92, no. 9 (September 2014): 70–76.
- Kaplan, Robert Steven. "Top Executives Need Feedback: Here's How They Can Get It." McKinsey Quarterly, no. 4 (2011): 60–71.
- Kaplan, Robert Steven. "Reaching Your Potential." HBS Centennial Issue Harvard Business Review 86, nos. 7/8 (July–August 2008): 45–49.
- Kaplan, Robert Steven. "What to Ask the Person in the Mirror." Harvard Business Review 85, no. 1 (January 2007).
- "Robert S. Kaplan official bio". Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Derby, Michael S. (2015-08-17). "Dallas Fed Names Former Goldman Sachs Banker Robert Steven Kaplan President". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- "Robert Steven Kaplan". Harvard Business School Faculty. Harvard Business School. Retrieved 31 July 2015.