Roger Ibañez da Silva (born 23 November 1998), commonly known as Ibañez, is a Brazilian professional footballer who plays for Serie A club Roma, on loan from Atalanta. Mainly a central defender, he can also play as a defensive midfielder.
Ibañez in March 2019
|Full name||Roger Ibañez da Silva|
|Date of birth||23 November 1998|
|Place of birth||Canela, Brazil|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
(on loan from Atalanta)
|2017||→ Fluminense (loan)|
|2017||→ Sergipe (loan)||0||(0)|
|2017–2018||→ Fluminense (loan)||0||(0)|
|2020–||→ Roma (loan)||39||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23:53, 15 May 2021 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 14 October 2019
Born in Canela, Rio Grande do Sul to an Uruguayan mother, Ibañez only started his career in 2016, aged 18, at Grêmio Atlético Osoriense. Playing as a midfielder, he joined PRS Futebol Clube later in that year, and made his senior debut during the 2016 Copa Serrana, which was the club's first professional competition.
On 5 December 2016, Ibañez signed for Sergipe on loan for the season. The following 4 March, however, after featuring rarely, he was recalled. Upon returning, he became a regular starter during PRS' Campeonato Gaúcho Série B campaign.
In the middle of 2017, Ibañez joined Fluminense and was initially assigned to the under-20 squad. Promoted to the first team for the 2018 season by manager Abel Braga, he made his professional debut on 20 January 2018, starting in a 0–0 Campeonato Carioca home draw against Botafogo.
On 28 February 2018, Ibãnez had his federative rights purchased by Flu, and he signed a new five-year deal with the club. He made his Série A debut on 15 April, starting in a 2–1 away loss against Corinthians, and finished the campaign with 14 league appearances.
On 29 January 2019, Ibañez signed with the Italian club Atalanta. Having been inserted in the squad in February, Ibañez received his debut on 11 May, coming on for the final few minutes of their 2–1 victory over Genoa. He replaced attacker Josip Iličić as the club was in the heat of battle for a top-four Serie A finish and UEFA Champions League qualification for the first time in their history, which they eventually achieved.
Ibañez made his first appearance the following season on the final day of Atalanta's group stage campaign in the Champions League. Needing a win away to Shakhtar Donetsk, Ibañez came on for centre-forward Luis Muriel for the final 20 minutes with Atalanta leading 0–1 and having previously abandoned their regular back three for a back four while in search of the winning goal. Ibañez had only been included in one of the previous five match day squads, but the suspension of Rafael Tolói and an injury to Simon Kjær paved the way for his inclusion. Atalanta would win the game 0–3, qualifying for the knockout stage.
Loan to Roma
On 27 January 2020, he moved to Serie A club Roma and signed a 4.5-year contract with the club. The transfer is initially a loan until 30 June 2021, which will convert to the permanent transfer for a predetermined fee of €8 million if certain conditions are met.
|2017||Gaúcho Série B||—||9||2||—||—||—||9||2|
|Sergipe (loan)||2017||Série D||0||0||2||0||0||0||—||0||0||2||0|
|Fluminense (loan)||2017||Série A||0||0||—||0||0||—||—||0||0|
|Roma (loan)||2019–20||Serie A||9||0||—||0||0||1||0||—||10||0|
- "Gringo? Que nada! Gaúcho Ibañez explica origem de nome: "Escolhi por marketing"" [Gringo? Not at all! Gaúcho Ibañez explains name: "I chose on marketing"] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 8 February 2018. Retrieved 11 June 2019.
- "Jogador revelado no PRS/Garibaldi vira titular do Fluminense" [Player formed at PRS/Garibaldi becomes a starter at Fluminense] (in Portuguese). Portal de Acesso. 23 January 2018. Retrieved 11 June 2019.
- "Diretoria do Sergipe apresenta meia e volante para equipe de Betinho" [Sergipe's board present attacking midfielder and defensive midfielder to Betinho's team] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 5 December 2016. Retrieved 11 June 2019.
- "Mancha deixa a gerência de futebol do Sergipe e Roger volta para o PRS FC" [Mancha leaves Sergipe's football management and Roger returns to PRS FC] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 4 March 2017. Retrieved 11 June 2019.
- "Flu pressiona Botafogo no fim, mas equipes não saem do zero em clássico sem graça" [Flu put pressure on Botafogo in the end, but both teams end up blank in boring derby] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 20 January 2018. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "Fluminense compra os direitos de Ibañez e assina com o zagueiro por cinco anos" [Fluminense buy Ibañez's rights and sign with the stopper for five years] (in Portuguese). Istoé. 28 February 2018. Retrieved 11 June 2019.
- "IBAÑEZ ALL'ATALANTA" [Ibañez to Atalanta] (in Italian). Atalanta. 29 January 2019.
- "ROMA COMPLETE IBANEZ ADDITION". Roma. 27 January 2020.
- Roger Ibañez at Soccerway. Retrieved 12 June 2018.