Ross and Cromarty (UK Parliament constituency)

Ross and Cromarty was a county constituency of the House of Commons of the UK Parliament from 1832 to 1983. It elected one Member of Parliament (MP) using the first-past-the-post voting system.

Ross and Cromarty
Former County constituency
for the House of Commons
Subdivisions of Scotland1890–1975: Ross and Cromarty
1975–1983: Highland
18321983
Number of membersOne
Replaced byRoss, Cromarty & Skye
Created fromInverness Burghs, Ross-shire and Cromartyshire
During its existence contributed to new seat(s) of:Na h-Eileanan an Iar or the Western Isles

When created in 1832 by the Scottish Reform Act 1832 it combined in one seat the former seats Ross-shire and Cromartyshire.

In 1918 Lewis (a large island several miles offshore) was taken from the seat and merged into the then new Western Isles constituency, and the Fortrose component of the former Inverness Burghs constituency and the Dingwall and Cromarty components of the former Northern Burghs constituency were merged into the Ross and Cromarty constituency.

In 1983 the remaining area of the seat was merged with the Isle of Skye and Isle of Raasay areas of the then-Inverness seat to form Ross, Cromarty and Skye.