Ryan Patrick Vail (born March 19, 1986) is an American long distance runner. Vail had a college running career at Oklahoma State University, where his success led him to road race competitively. He is best known for blogging his high mileage training. He has been featured in publications such as Runner's World for his training methods. Vail also works for Brooks Sports as a sponsored athlete. He is married to his former Oklahoma State cross-country teammate, Eva Tomankova.
|Born||March 19, 1986|
|Sport||Track and field|
|Event(s)||Long Distance Running|
Vail began training year around during his junior year at Centennial High School. He then went on to Oklahoma State University where he was the leader of the 2009 NCAA Cross Country National Championship team. Immediately after graduating from Oklahoma State, Vail signed a contract with Brooks Sports. Vail participated in the 2012 Olympic Trials, where he was a top finisher. Vail was also the top American finisher in the 2013 New York Marathon, and at the 2014 London Marathon, where he finished 10th in 2' 10" 57, his personal best.
- Marathon 2:10:57
- Half Marathon 1:02:04
- 10 mi road 47:13
- 15 km road 43:43
- 10 km 27:44.07
- 5 km 13:28.11
- 3 km indoor 7:52.17
- 1500m 3:42.80
Awards and achievements
- 5 time All-American at Oklahoma State University
- 11th place debut at the 2012 Olympic Marathon Trials (2:12:43)
- 6th place 2012 Olympic Trials 10 km
- 3rd place Gate River Run (USA 15 km Championships) 2013
- 1st US finisher at the 2013 ING NYC Marathon (13th) in 2:13:30
- 10th place 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon (2:10:57)
- 3rd place USA Track and Field Championships - 10 km
- 9th place 2014 TCS New York City Marathon
- Top 6 finish in the following U.S. Championships:
- 2005 USA Junior Cross Country Championships
- 2009 USA Cross Country Championships
- 2010 USA Cross Country Championships
- 2010 Gate River 15 km USA National Championships
- 2011 Gate River 15 km USA National Championships
- 2011 USA Outdoor National Championships (10 km)
- 2011 USA Half-Marathon National Championships
- 2012 Track and Field Olympic Trials 10 km
- 2013 USA Cross Country Championships
- 2013 USA Track and Field Championships (10 km)
- 2013 Gate River Run (USA 15 km Championships)
- 3rd place 2014 USA Track and Field Championships - 10 km
- 5th place 2015 USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships - 10 km
Vail is known for his blog, ryanvail.blogspot.com. He first began blogging in 2012. Vail keeps a record of his training and upcoming races through his blog. He also shares his workout regiments he completed that day. Vail offers advice and gives fellow runners pointers on what gear is the best on the market. Fans have the ability to communicate with Vail through the comments section in his blog. They can also communicate through his Twitter, @ryanvail.
- "Profile of Ryan VAIL | All-Athletics.com". all-athletics.com. Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "Ryan Vail: The Next Breakthrough U.S. Marathoner? | Runner's World". runnersworld.com. Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "Ryan Vail". Runner's World. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- "Ryan Vail". Runner's World. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- Cooper, Bob (June 2013). "Follow the Leader". Runner's World. 48 (6): 34.
- "Distance Standout Ryan Vail Re-Signs with Brooks Running". Brooks Running. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- Huebner, Barbara. "5 things you should know about me: Ryan Vail". New York Road Runners. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Goe, Ken (April 16, 2014). "They haven't forgotten marathon runner Ryan Vail at Centennial High School; Oregon track & field rundown". The Oregonian. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- "Ryan Vail: Bio". blogspot. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- "New York, Take 2: Interview with Ryan Vail - Competitor.com". running.competitor.com. Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "Ryan Vail Runner profile on Association of Road Racing Statisticians". ARRS. Retrieved October 22, 2016.
- "Ryan Vail: Bio". blogspot. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- "2009 USA Cross Country Championships Results - Open Men Results Updated 2/9/09". usatf.org. Retrieved October 22, 2016.
- "Ryan Vail". Blogger. Retrieved August 31, 2015.