Saint Petersburg State University

St Petersburg University (SPbU, Saint Petersburg State University; Russian: СПбГУ, Санкт-Петербургский государственный университет) is a public research university based in Saint Petersburg, Russia. It is the oldest and one of the largest universities in Russia.

St Petersburg University (Saint Petersburg State University)
Санкт-Петербургский государственный университет
Latin: Universitas Petropolitana
Former name
Petersburg Pedagogical Institute (1804–14)
Main Pedagogical Institute (1814–19)
Saint Petersburg University (1819–21)
Saint Petersburg Imperial University (1821–1914)
Petrograd Imperial University (1914–18)
Petrograd State University (1918–24)
Leningrad State University (1924–91)
MottoHic tuta perennat
(Here all in safety lasts)
TypePublic
Established1724; 297 years ago (1724)
RectorNikolai M. Kropachev
Administrative staff
13,000
Students32,400
Undergraduates26,872
Postgraduates5,566
Address
7/9 Universitetskaya Emb., 199034
, ,
Russia
CampusBoth urban and suburban
Colours    Terracotta and gray[1]
AffiliationsBRICS Universities League, Campus Europae, Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs
MascotBoris the Funny Looking Owl[2]
Building details
The Twelve Collegia building on Vasilievsky Island in Saint Petersburg is the university's main building and the seat of the rector and administration (the building was constructed on the orders of Peter the Great for the 12 collegia)
Websiteenglish.spbu.ru

Founded in 1724 by a decree of Peter the Great, the University from the very beginning has had a strong focus on fundamental research in science, engineering and humanities.

It is made up of 24 specialized faculties (departments) and institutes, the Academic Gymnasium, the Medical College, the College of Physical culture and Sports, Economics and Technology. The university has two primary campuses: one on Vasilievsky Island and the other one in Peterhof.

During the Soviet period, it was known as Leningrad State University (Russian: Ленинградский государственный университет). It was renamed after Andrei Zhdanov in 1948 and was officially called "Leningrad State University, named after A. A. Zhdanov and Decorated with the Order of Lenin and the Order of the Red Banner of Labor". A. A. Zhdanov's was removed in 1989 and Leningrad in the name was officially replaced with Saint Petersburg in 1992, however the mentions of being decorated with orders stayed for some time after that.


Share this article:

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Saint Petersburg State University, and is written by contributors. Text is available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 International License; additional terms may apply. Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.