|Full name||Samuel Castillejo Azuaga|
|Date of birth||18 January 1995|
|Place of birth||Barcelona, Spain|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19:10, 21 April 2021 (UTC)|
Castillejo was born in Barcelona, Catalonia where his father, a Guardia Civil officer, was stationed at the time; the family resettled in Málaga, Andalusia within a few months. He graduated from Málaga CF's youth system, made his senior debut with the reserves in 2011 aged only 16, and went on to play three full seasons in Tercera División. He was given the nickname El Fideo ("the noodle" in Spanish), due to his "wiry frame and ability to squirm away in tight spaces".
In June 2014, Castillejo was called up by first-team manager Javi Gracia for the pre-season. He was named player of the match in a 3–1 friendly win against Newcastle United where he scored twice. He was promoted to the main squad the following month.
Castillejo made his debut with the first team on 29 August 2014, coming on as a substitute for fellow youth graduate Juanmi in the 57th minute of a 0–3 La Liga away loss to Valencia CF. He scored his first professional goal on 2 February, the winner in a home victory over the same opposition.
Castillejo joined Villarreal CF on 18 June 2015 alongside his Málaga teammate Samu García, signing a five-year deal. He scored six times in his third season, helping to qualification for the UEFA Europa League after a fifth-place finish.
Castillejo signed with A.C. Milan on 17 August 2018, with Carlos Bacca moving in the opposite direction. He made his Serie A debut on 31 August, starting in the 2–1 win against A.S. Roma at San Siro. He scored his first goal for the club on 30 September, in a 4–1 away defeat of U.S. Sassuolo.
Style of play
In June 2020, Castillejo was robbed of his watch at gunpoint in Milan.
- "Samuel Castillejo" (in Italian). A.C. Milan. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- Cañizares, Rubén (6 May 2017). "Samu Castillejo: "Un héroe es Pablo Ráez, no un futbolista"" [Samu Castillejo: "A hero is Pablo Ráez, not a footballer"]. ABC (in Spanish). Retrieved 3 December 2020.
- Cartlidge, David (11 March 2015). "Meet Diego Simeone's favourite player in La Liga (who doesn't play for Atletico)". FourFourTwo. Retrieved 15 June 2017.
- "Samu Castillejo shines as Málaga defeat Newcastle United". Inside Spanish Football. 2 August 2014. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Ballesteros, Jesús (3 August 2014). "Samu Castillejo pide un sitio ya" [Samu Castillejo calls for a place right now]. Marca (in Spanish). Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Rincón, Jaime (29 August 2014). "Alcácer se da un homenaje" [Alcácer pays tribute to himself]. Marca (in Spanish). Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Samu Castillejo clinches win for Malaga over Valencia". ESPN FC. 2 February 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- "El Villarreal CF ficha a los 'Samus'" [Villarreal CF sign the 'Samus'] (in Spanish). Villarreal CF. 18 June 2015. Archived from the original on 19 June 2015. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- Mateu, Ismael (27 July 2018). "Castillejo: "El Villarreal es una gran familia"" [Castillejo: "Villarreal is one big family"]. El Periódico Mediterráneo (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "MILAN, ACCORDO PER CASTILLEJO: Bacca nell'operazione, i dettagli" [MILAN, AGREEMENT ON CASTILLEJO: Bacca in the operation, the details] (in Italian). Calcio Mercato. 14 August 2018. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Official announcement: Samuel Castillejo & Diego Laxalt". A.C. Milan. 17 August 2018. Retrieved 17 August 2018.
- Paul, Sumeet (1 September 2018). "Piatek paying dividends as Milan win again". ESPN. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- Smith, Jamie (30 September 2018). "Sassuolo 1 AC Milan 4: Suso double lifts under-fire Gattuso". Goal. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- "Castillejo: "Qui per vincere"" [Castillejo: "Here to win"] (in Italian). A.C. Milan. 17 August 2018. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "AC Milan follows Villarreal winger Samu Castillejo". Calcio Mercato. 11 June 2018. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- Manno, Francesco (1 October 2018). "Milan, Castillejo in goal da "falso 9": prestazione super dello spagnolo all'esordio da titolare!" [Milan, goal for Castillejo as "false 9": super performance from the Spaniard in starting debut!] (in Italian). MSN. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- "AC Milan star Castillejo: 'Suso doesn't take away my position, I'm waiting for my chance'". Calcio Mercato. 20 December 2018. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- "AC Milan winger Castillejo robbed at gun point". Goal. 9 June 2020. Retrieved 12 June 2020.
- "Samu Castillejo". Soccerway. Retrieved 23 January 2018.