San Francisco Mint

The San Francisco Mint is a branch of the United States Mint. Opened in 1854 to serve the gold mines of the California Gold Rush, in twenty years its operations exceeded the capacity of the first building. It moved into a new one in 1874, now known as the Old San Francisco Mint. In 1937 Mint operations moved into a third building, the current one, completed that year.

United States Mint (San Francisco)
The San Francisco Mint building, built in 1937
LocationHermann and Buchanan Streets, San Francisco, California
Coordinates37.7701°N 122.4273°W / 37.7701; -122.4273
Built1937
ArchitectGilbert Stanley Underwood
Architectural styleStripped Classicism
NRHP reference No.88000026
Added to NRHPFebruary 18, 1988

Share this article:

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article San Francisco Mint, and is written by contributors. Text is available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 International License; additional terms may apply. Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.