Alexander "Sandy" Archibald (23 November 1896 – 29 November 1946) was a Scottish footballer, who played for Raith Rovers, Rangers and Scotland. He was later secretary/manager of Raith and Dunfermline Athletic.
|Full name||Alexander Archibald|
|Date of birth||23 November 1896|
|Place of birth||Crossgates, Scotland|
|Date of death||29 November 1946 50)(aged|
|Place of death||Crossgates, Fife, Scotland|
|1919–1933||Scottish League XI||12||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Initially employed as a miner in Fife, Archibald became a full professional when he joined Rangers at the age of 19 from Raith Rovers in 1917. He made his debut in a 2–0 defeat to Old Firm rivals Celtic in the Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup final in May 1917. The following season he was an ever-present as Rangers won the League title for the first time in five seasons.
Archibald went on to win thirteen league titles in his seventeen seasons with the Glasgow club. He also won three Scottish Cup medals, the first of which in 1928 was Rangers' first in 25 years and Archibald scored twice in the final as Rangers defeated Celtic 4–0 at Hampden. His final appearance was in a 1–1 draw away to Queen's Park on 30 April 1934. He made 625 appearances for Rangers in all competitions.
Archibald won a total of 8 caps for Scotland over an 11-year period, although most of his selections occurred between his 1921 debut and 1924. After a seven-year hiatus, he earned a recall for the matches against England in 1931 and 1932. He scored once for his country, against Wales in February 1922. Archibald also played for the Scottish League XI.
After his playing retirement he rejoined Raith Rovers as secretary/manager, a role he held for over five years. He joined the Kirkcaldy side's Fife rivals Dunfermline in October 1939 and performed a similar combined managerial role for them until his death in 1946.
- OTRS 2013090310010513
- 45,000 view the charity 'national match, Sunday Post, 9 June 1918 (via Partick Thistle History Archive)
- [A Record of pre-war Scottish League Players], John Litster / Scottish Football Historian magazine, October 2012
- Rangers player Archibald, Sandy, FitbaStats
- Rangers' Forwards Advantage, The Scotsman, 16 April 1928, via London Hearts Supporters Club
- "Scotland player Sandy Archibald". London Hearts Supporters' Club. Retrieved 11 May 2020.
- "SFL player Alexander Archibald". London Hearts Supporters' Club. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- Lamming, Douglas (1987). A Scottish Soccer Internationalists Who's Who, 1872–1986. Hutton Press. p. 13. ISBN 0-907033-47-4.
- Former Managers | Sandy Archibald 1939–46, Dunfermline Athletic FC