Secretary of State for International Trade
The secretary of state for international trade, also referred to as the international trade secretary, is a senior Minister of the Crown within the Government of the United Kingdom, and head of the Department for International Trade. The office forms part of the British Cabinet. Since it was created, the international trade secretary also holds the office of President of the Board of Trade in conjunction.
|Secretary of State|
for International Trade
|Department for International Trade|
|Style||International Trade Secretary|
The Right Honourable
(UK and the Commonwealth)
|Status||Secretary of state|
Minister of the Crown
Board of Trade
|Reports to||The Prime Minister|
on advice of the Prime Minister
|Term length||At Her Majesty's Pleasure|
|Formation||13 July 2016|
|First holder||Liam Fox|
|This article is part of a series on|
|Politics of the United Kingdom|
|United Kingdom portal|
|Part of a series of articles on|
Glossary of terms
|EU portal · UK portal|
Corresponding to what is generally known as a commerce minister in many other countries, the international trade secretary's remit includes:
- Forming new free trade agreements for the United Kingdom
- Managing the development of freeports across Britain
- Maintaining current trade agreements with other countries
- Supporting British businesses with international trade
The office was created by Prime Minister Theresa May shortly after she took office on 13 July 2016, following the 2016 EU referendum. The office's powers were taken from the trade functions of the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, which was recreated as the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy as part of a wider government reorganisation.
List of Secretaries of State for International Trade
Colour key (for political parties):
|Term of office||Length of term||Party||Ministry|
|The Right Honourable
Dr Liam Fox
MP for North Somerset
|3 years and 11 days||Conservative||May I|
|The Right Honourable
MP for South West Norfolk
|Incumbent||1 year, 10 months and 19 days*||Conservative||Johnson I|
* Incumbent's length of term last updated: 12 June 2021.
- Shadow Secretary of State for International Trade
- First Lord of Trade
- Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Secretary for Overseas Trade
- Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union (position established concurrently)
- "International Trade Secretary WTO address". GOV.UK. 9 October 2019. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
International Trade Secretary Liz Truss' first WTO address, at the International Chamber of Commerce Global Dialogue on Trade Reform
- "Liam Fox ridiculed for being only member of new UK board of trade". The Guardian. 12 October 2017. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "Secretary of State for International Trade and President of the Board of Trade". GOV.UK. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- The Secretaries of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, for International Trade and for Exiting the European Union and the Transfer of Functions (Education and Skills) Order 2016 Article 9(1).
- The Secretaries of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, for International Trade and for Exiting the European Union and the Transfer of Functions (Education and Skills) Order 2016 Article 3.