Sentimental Hygiene is the sixth studio album by rock singer-songwriter Warren Zevon. The album was released on August 29, 1987, by Virgin Records. The release of Sentimental Hygiene marked the first studio album for Zevon in five years. It produced the single "Reconsider Me", as well as the dance single "Leave My Monkey Alone".
|Released||August 29, 1987|
|Studio||Record One, Los Angeles, California; A&M Studios, Hollywood, California; Cheshire Sound Studios, Atlanta, Georgia|
|Genre||Rock, hard rock, alternative rock, folk rock|
|Producer||Warren Zevon, Niko Bolas, Andrew Slater|
- "Sentimental Hygiene"
- "Boom Boom Mancini"
- "Reconsider Me"
- "Detox Mansion"
- "Bad Karma"
- "Leave My Monkey Alone"
The single version of "Leave My Monkey Alone" was extended to 10:34 minutes and included a remix by the Latin Rascals (Albert Cabrera and Tony Moran) and the non-album track, "Nocturne".
"Even a Dog Can Shake Hands" was used as the opening theme music for the short-lived Fox comedy series Action. The song was composed by Peter Buck, Bill Berry and Mike Mills, all members of R.E.M. backing up Zevon on this album, who also recorded an album with Zevon under the name Hindu Love Gods. Michael Stipe also of R.E.M., appears on the album providing vocals and harmony on the song "Bad Karma". The album features contributions by Bob Dylan and Neil Young; the former playing harmonica on "The Factory" and the latter lead guitar on the title track.
All tracks composed by Warren Zevon, except where indicated.
- Producer: Warren Zevon, Niko Bolas, Andrew Slater
- Engineer: Duncan Aldrich, Niko Bolas, Richard Bosworth
- Assistant Engineer: Richard Cottrell, Richard Landers, Bob Levy, Mark McKenna, Dan Nash, Bob Vogt
- Mixing: Niko Bolas, Larry Ferguson, Shelly Yakus
- Mastering: Stephen Marcussen
- Arranger: Niko Bolas, George Clinton, Larry Ferguson
- Emulator: Warren Zevon
- Programming and computers: Willie Alexander, Brian Bell
- Art Direction: Jeffrey Kent Ayeroff, Margo Chase
- Cover Photo: Herb Ritts
- Mark Deming. "Sentimental Hygiene – Warren Zevon | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "CG: warren zevon". Robert Christgau. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Larkin, Colin (2007). Encyclopedia of Popular Music (4th ed.). Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0195313734.
- "Warren Zevon: Sentimental Hygiene : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone". Web.archive.org. July 16, 1987. Archived from the original on October 2, 2007. Retrieved October 23, 2015.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 348. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.